• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been offered a 12 month contract but had no interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been offered a 12 month contract but had no interview

Hello

To start with I dont want to start big headed that ive been offered a 12 month contact.
    THB I don't even know how usual that is for contracting as ive only been doing it for the last year.

The issue is that the role is 50mins away from me and looking on google maps the main way of getting there is M3 then M25 (the the M25 obviously is very busy at peak hours so my trip could maybe double someday.

The role its self is a support role but they couldn't provide me with a job spec apparently there is another contractor guy there who gave a brief description of what he did sounded like 2nd line desktop support which is ok by me.

Sounds sill but I dont know a great deal about the role I kind of trusted the agency as hes got me work before and got this job for without even an interview!

My only concern is that i was told by an experience contractor any jobs with no interviews means its a bad job what do you think?

Im currently on another contract at the moment and they have said today they would basically like to keep me on into the new year doing a hardware roll out. Its fairly easy and we get to finish early but its rather boring and i think it might look bad on my CV.

If you have read this far thanks I just wanted some advice really?

I also do a alot of freelancing pc repair work from home (evenings and weekends) so maybe i should ditch the 12 month one?

There is probably something in your contract which will allow the client to get rid of you with no notice in the first week/month if you don't live up to what your CV promises.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

First thing I would do which seems to be missing here is weigh up the pro's and con's of each role. If you do this might you might actually get the answer without having to take the risk of no job spec etc etc...

What is good about the job you are in. What is bad about it. Same for the new job. How will the job you are in look bad on your CV though just out of interest, because you have been there a long time or it isn't utilizing your skills properly? If you are in support and are working on a hardward role out it seems to fit ok.

What about rates, travel, length of contract, size of companies involved (blue chip or unknown little companies)...

From that decide which is best for you. if it is this new role then yes start to think about the risks. Does 1st and 2nd line support really need a job spec? It has a fairly standard set of processes and the like doesn't it. Just what you are support can change?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends very much on the client(re:interview).

I recently got a gig where I had a 10 minute (yes/no style questionairre). They offered me the role based on the agency recommendation(who they trusted).

I actually made them do a 2nd interview just in case they were all closet cases and I didn't want to work for them.

It's rare though.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I got my current gig (3 monther) after a 5 minute phone chat with a few basic coding questions.

They did insist i went down to see them after this, but it was just to see my face and say hello. I'd been told prior to this (by the agent) that the gig was mine.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

If there's no job spec, thats kind of risky because if they decided to terminate, they could argue that you didnt' meet the skill requirements. if thats not written down, its down to what they say is valid, not you.

Why not, then, write the spec and ask them to ratify it and include it in the contract as a Schedule ?

Comment

I'm not sure I'd want to commit long term to working somewhere I'd never even seen, or met any of the people face to face. But then part of being a contractor is being able to fit into any environment.

They're probably saying 12 months as a carrot to make you accept a lower rate. They'll almost certainly be able to get rid of you at any time, so 12 months doesn't really mean anything. OTOH you may well be committing yourself to work for 12 months with no get out - so check what the contract says about notice periods.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
                The role its self is a support role but they couldn't provide me with a job spec
                Congratulations on the offer of a 12 month contract but it sounds like a bit of a cowboy operation if they won't provide a spec and then recruit someone without an interview (not even phone interview). I'd be inclined to arrange an interview with the client.

If they will recruit someone that easily then you know they will fire you just as quickly so consider your notice period carefully.

Notice cuts both ways though, you could end up in a dead boring job and can't get out quickly to take an interesting one.

On the other hand, you may be boomed. If you do a full year there on a decent rate you can build up your war chest and add another solid paragraph to your CV.

Good luck!
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I'm not sure I'd want to commit long term to working somewhere I'd never even seen, or met any of the people face to face. But then part of being a contractor is being able to fit into any environment.
                  I've done it.

In fact I've done it twice. They were the best 2 companies I worked at.

Unfortunately one went bust (years after I left) and the other one was swallowed up while I was there.

Mind you I did have a very detailed job spec both times...........
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

working interview

i think its going to become quite common, they will put a clause in contract to protect themselves for first few weeks, if your rubbish they can simply get rid of you.

i got my current contract on the basis of a short telephone interview and i am still here 8 months later and very happy.

p.

Comment

Working...
                    X