• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recording KT Sessions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording KT Sessions

Hi Everyone,
    been a while!
    Some advice needed - I have been asked to run some kowledge transfer sessions to an offshore team. The client has outsourced all of its support activites and I am being asked to do a handover of my area of expertise to the offshore team. We have been told that the kt sessions will be recorded which I am not comfortable with. I'm planning to just refuse to have these recorded. Would you allow these to be recorded?

Don't worry, KT sessions are notoriously difficult to record unless they are carefully scripted, directed and recorded. And most aren't.

Simply stand up, walk around and offer to do a question and answer session.

The session will be useful to those in the immediate audience and useless to everyone else.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

WCS!

Trying to watch/listen to 24 hours of recorded KT material is use to man nor beast. Unless you have some personal issue with being filmed then just let them do it and have done.

If you do not want to be recognised on film you could of course get a tan and grow a moustache
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        WCS!

Trying to watch/listen to 24 hours of recorded KT material is use to man nor beast. Unless you have some personal issue with being filmed then just let them do it and have done.

If you do not want to be recognised on film you could of course get a tan and grow a moustache
        Don't have a problem with being filmed but it's the prinicple. The client has just assumed that the contractors will all just do everything they request without question.Haven't been asked if they can record the sessions just been told that they will be recorded. I'm also being asked to produce exercises and tests to assess the competency of the knowledge recipient. Not really within the scope of my contract so I'll probably ask for a rate hike to cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceNamor View Post
          I'm also being asked to produce exercises and tests to assess the competency of the knowledge recipient. Not really within the scope of my contract so I'll probably ask for a rate hike to cover it.
          Hmmm, obviously this is situational but taking the time I did this the knowledge I was transferring was part of the deployment and on the critical path. I would have expected my client would have argued this is in the scope and can't see how I could have pushed back without going in to the nitty gritty of the role bullet points, which are always woolly anyway. A fight I really couldn't be bothered with. If I had gone in for a rate hike they would have fallen over laughing and pointed at the door.

Are you really sure about this and willing to piss the client of to the level of arguing with him about it? If you really had an axe to grind and didn't care about the outcome then go for it. Producing KT and exercises was the easiest part of the role and breath of fresh air. Not something I would have jeopardized my reputation and gig on. But as I say your situation could be completely different.

I guess I am still new enough to contracting to take a few days of extra work on the chin for the moment for the greater good than pushing everything as far as I can go as well so maybe a soft touch in situations like this,.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We have been told that the kt sessions will be recorded which I am not comfortable with. I'm planning to just refuse to have these recorded. Would you allow these to be recorded?
            Nope. But then I have a personal beef about assisting UK jobs transfers overseas...
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Don't have a problem with being filmed but it's the prinicple. The client has just assumed that the contractors will all just do everything they request without question.Haven't been asked if they can record the sessions just been told that they will be recorded. I'm also being asked to produce exercises and tests to assess the competency of the knowledge recipient. Not really within the scope of my contract so I'll probably ask for a rate hike to cover it.
              Make the tests bloody difficult and use to demonstrate to client that offshore resource is not up to your standard so suggest they extend you further to cover gap

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                been a while!
                Some advice needed - I have been asked to run some kowledge transfer sessions to an offshore team. The client has outsourced all of its support activites and I am being asked to do a handover of my area of expertise to the offshore team. We have been told that the kt sessions will be recorded which I am not comfortable with. I'm planning to just refuse to have these recorded. Would you allow these to be recorded?
                I'm assuming you are a contractor, if so, you are quite right to be worried about recordings. Is your contract directly with the client or through an intermediary agent? Could the offshore company hold your company liable for any f*** ups that may occur as part of the KT you perform? How long will you have to maintain your contractor insurance after you have performed said KT sessions?

Above all, be careful that you do not sign anything presented by the offshore company or their agents. Unless you you can afford to get independent legal advice about the consequences, refuse to sign ANYTHING that they present to you. This includes a KT 'attendance' register.

Speak to your client about your concerns.

I'm not a lawyer but I would advise you to tread very carefully. Don't have nightmares though.

Comment

Normally when people make a movie (dodgy 'tash or otherwise) they expect to get paid royalties every time it's shown. If they want you to do it once and they record it then they are saving money because you can do the training in 1 session rather than (say) 6 sessions.

I'd be inclined to say no, but then again I don't like offshore teams either after dealing with one in a previous life. If these people are too stupid to listen to what I said the first time then they can pay me to say it all again (and again) and again when I come back and sort out their tulip when they make a mess of it.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

just talk really quietly

Comment

Working...
                    X