• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blugh, just realised there's a mistake on a CV i submitted, what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blugh, just realised there's a mistake on a CV i submitted, what to do?

Have a potential phone interview today but i've just realised there's a mistake on the CV i submitted to them.

I'm predominantly a *Technology A* dev but my last contract was about 75% *Technology B* and 25% A. However, i normally just say it was all A because B kinda goes against A - I know, shame on me.

However applied for a job yesterday that wanted both A and B. So i changed the experience level in years for B but forgot to change the last job from A to B to match. Yes, yes, i get what i deserve etc etc.

So how do i play this...

A) Fess up to the interviewer that there's a mistake from the beginning

B) Hope the interviewer doesn't realise but then fess up if it becomes important

C) Tiptoe around the issue (feasible, but i lose out on the B advantage then)

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Have a potential phone interview today but i've just realised there's a mistake on the CV i submitted to them.

I'm predominantly a *Technology A* dev but my last contract was about 75% *Technology B* and 25% A. However, i normally just say it was all A because B kinda goes against A - I know, shame on me.

However applied for a job yesterday that wanted both A and B. So i changed the experience level in years for B but forgot to change the last job from A to B to match. Yes, yes, i get what i deserve etc etc.

So how do i play this...

A) Fess up to the interviewer that there's a mistake from the beginning

B) Hope the interviewer doesn't realise but then fess up if it becomes important

C) Tiptoe around the issue (feasible, but i lose out on the B advantage then)
    When the topic comes up of the technologies in question, just be honest and tell them the truth, that you made an oversight over some of the details on your CV. You may lose the opportunity, but you will live and learn.

Rule of thumb, check your CV over and over again before submitting it.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Never admit to mistakes. Always blame someone else.

If it comes up, tell them the agent has cut and pasted your cv incorrectly.

Sorted.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Think i'm going to go for B and play it by ear.

Of course, they'll probably put me out of my misery by not ringing me.

Comment

IMHO, either A or B, will see you cast as a liar no matter what you say, and will put you out of the running straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Never admit to mistakes. Always blame someone else.

If it comes up, tell them the agent has cut and pasted your cv incorrectly.

Sorted.
            WHS.

Turn up with a correct copy of your CV with your contact details on it.

And state this is the one you submitted to the agent and hand it over at the begin of the interview.

Lots of agents "edit" CVs before sending them to the client.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why should it be a problem. Admit that due to the haste required by the agency to submit a CV, and in your enthusiasm for the role - that you made a mistake. They will out of duty complete the interview with you as they will have booked a room specially - and you will be able to wow them with your knowledge during the interview - therefore putting the mistake firmly behind you.

Also, at the end of the interview, apologise again.
              Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

The buggars never rang in the end after all that (or are leaving it bloody late). However, lined up 2 in-person interviews for next week elsewhere so a reasonable day.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Let's have a smiley for fun:

Comment

Working...
                X