• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another "Help me negotiate an increase" question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "Help me negotiate an increase" question

Unexpectedly, I'm getting another contract renewal at my current clientco (this will be my fourth renewal here.

When I originally went for the job, I was put forward at £Xpd, but the agent said the client wanted to knock it down due to my lack of industry experience, so I've been on [£X - £35]pd since.

When the agent contacts me about this, I'm going to ask for the original rate I was put forward at, but only if this is coming out of his pocket. There's simply no point in asking for it if the client's going to have to stump up the extra cash, as money's extremely tight, and they've pulled out all the stops just to keep me here for an extra couple of months.

I'm not aut feit with how Agency - Client deals work. Will he be on a percentage, and can I negotiate with him to decrease that percentage so that I get more of it? Or, could he be on a fixed rate percentage which means that if I ask for more, he almost has to ask the client for more, in which case I basically have no bargaining power, since the answer will definitely be 'no'.

Any advice, much appreciated. Cheers!

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    I'm not aut feit with how Agency - Client deals work. Will he be on a percentage, and can I negotiate with him to decrease that percentage so that I get more of it? Or, could he be on a fixed rate percentage which means that if I ask for more, he almost has to ask the client for more, in which case I basically have no bargaining power, since the answer will definitely be 'no'.

Any advice, much appreciated. Cheers!
    au fait

It varies from agency to agency and client to client (and possibly even project to project) - they might be on a percentage deal, in which case it is in their interest to get as much for you as they can, since that increases their money as well as yours. Or, they could have been told "find me someone for £x" in which case, it is in their interest to get the cheapest person, since they then maximise their income.

Either way, the agent may be able to give you something. I've had agents on both kinds of deal take a hit without passing it on to the client. Some agencies are more up front than others - I was told by one agent that they would take a cut of £x a day, but any more and it wasn't worth their while (but they would help me find something else).

Talk to the agent about it.

You haven't said how long you've been there - how much industry experience have you picked up? Also, you need to think in percentage terms rather than just the total rate - if you ask for too much, then the agency will just say no straight off.

You could also ask them what their deal is, and find out what percentage they are on. If possible, I think like to check it out with the client, as it's always interesting to note how honest they have been with you
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Agent shenanigans?

I'd say the odds are better than evens that your Agency has been skimming £35 per day off your rate since you started the contract. Any reason which includes "the client wants to pay less because... [fill in any nonsensical reason which you can't easily check HERE] usually means they are.

I'd ask the client what they are paying the Agency and what %age mark-up is included. Be honest and tell them your concern re: rate skimming. The fact you are being renewed again tells you that the client is happy; hence you have plenty of leverage to find out the truth.

I could be wrong of course, and this particular Agency may turn out to be completely honest... and I'm the Queen of Sheba

Comment

Working...
      X