• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Agencies Know Which Clients Need Contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

My current contract is ending soon until the end of April.

I'm just wondering how to figure out which Companies need IT Contractors that I can apply directly rather than going through agencies? I think in this way, I'll potentially have a better chance of getting a new contract.

Thanks.

The way agencies tell is that someone eventually says "umm...OK then" to one of the hundreds of calls they make per week.
    your technique will have to be similar, but because you're likely to have a stronger network than them through previous contracts, you should be able to get by with fewer calls, to warmer leads.

Comment

You can sometimes second guess the pimp's ad, "a major Gov. Org. in Swansea" isn't hard to work out. The problem is they will have their PSL, and Joe Contractor isn't on it...

Comment

The best way to bypass agencies is to tap your network of contacts (linked in is good for keeping in touch) and find jobs that way. You've got a head start because people have worked with you and know you too.

But as stek says, even if you get the job direct you will probably be forced to work through an agency anyway.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Probably depends on the client, but I recently went direct to a previous client co and am back here on a "12" monther.

The client STILL stuck an agency in the mix, they "handle all client co's non-PSL suppliers".

So even a direct contract may not be as direct as one would like.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Shouldn't be quite as hard as made out above.
            You need to do this alongside your regular work though - start keeping in touch with peoples projects, listen to everything, get your head around who might need people. It took me 6 years of hard graft to get to a point where clients ring me reliably when they need someone - but I'm very niche in what I do.

Other things to do are convert information - speaking to other contractors about where they're interviewing, translating that into "must be a project there" then hunt it down. When speaking to other contractors, let them know that you'll slip them a days rate if they can "get you in" to their next client - become known for being the kind of person they can recommend (bad people don't get recommended - they just don't).

Keep that going, and you'll have a direct contract shortly I'm sure.

Good luck.

TAV
            "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
            SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
              Shouldn't be quite as hard as made out above.
              You need to do this alongside your regular work though - start keeping in touch with peoples projects, listen to everything, get your head around who might need people. It took me 6 years of hard graft to get to a point where clients ring me reliably when they need someone - but I'm very niche in what I do.

Other things to do are convert information - speaking to other contractors about where they're interviewing, translating that into "must be a project there" then hunt it down. When speaking to other contractors, let them know that you'll slip them a days rate if they can "get you in" to their next client - become known for being the kind of person they can recommend (bad people don't get recommended - they just don't).

Keep that going, and you'll have a direct contract shortly I'm sure.

Good luck.

TAV
              Oh and if you really want to do it properly - there are market intelligence systems (OneSource) - Various Reports on business opportunities - OGC frameworks - OJEU notices. But these methods are both long winded, and generally expensive to be able to access.
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

By asking us for two references!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I keep a list of every company I hear about that uses my skillset, and any other company I hear about in the areas I want to work.

This comes from colleagues talking about them, linked in, direct job ad's or anything else really.

When I'm approaching the end of a contract I start looking at their websites and applying directly.

I haven't got any using this approach though, usually a role through an agency comes along first.

Comment

Thanks for your advices guys.

My current contract is ending in 10 days so I'll have to find another one quickly.

So far I have updated my CV on Monster and Job Serve and received some calls from agencies. I'm going to

1) start "applying" for the contracts via these sites.

2) let my Linked In contacts know by posting an status (should I contact them one by one?!).

What else could I do now?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                    X