• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Qatar - Anyone Worked There?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qatar - Anyone Worked There?

Has anyone worked in Qatar?
    Anything I should look out for?

Originally posted by george99 View Post
    Most obvious thing is money. Jobs out there pay no more than in the UK now in my line of work, and sometimes they pay less.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

new hospital build?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        new hospital build?
        YES.

Comment

YES.
          Have you got a confirmed contract or are you just asking before applying?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Have you got a confirmed contract or are you just asking before applying?
            I've been interviewed and put forward for their client to approve - this decision is expected in the next few days. I'm thinking about what package I should be looking for - I'll be providing PM, BA and Pharmacy related knowledge and services. Contract is likely to be 12months (possibly more)?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Most obvious thing is money. Jobs out there pay no more than in the UK now in my line of work, and sometimes they pay less.
              Key is how you repatriate the cash, otherwise could be tax challenges - unless you use suitcase, jewelery, etc. (apparently)

Comment

Originally posted by mailric View Post
                Key is how you repatriate the cash, otherwise could be tax challenges - unless you use suitcase, jewelery, etc. (apparently)
                I agree, if the OP goes for a 12 month contract now he is going to have a hard time not paying UK tax on his income IMO. Besides that, the rates have gone through the floor for engineers out there since the Qataris started filling as many jobs as they can with asian engineers at a fraction of western rates.
                Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 27 April 2011, 14:22.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yep tax liability would be an issue. These days our bank accounts are pretty "see through". I don't see how you could actually repatriate it easily.

Take some advice before going out there.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 April 2011, 15:20.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Yep tax liability would be an issue. These days our bank accounts are pretty "see through". I don't see how you could actually repatriate it easily.

Take some advice before going out there.
                    Hmmm - I'll be pretty pissed off if I find I'm going to be paying UK taxes when I'm not even using UK services?!!

Comment

Working...
                    X