• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40hr week what the ...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Chester Business Park ?
    How is CBP in Crewe!?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I've never heard of anyone doing a 35 hour week and calling it full time. Except maybe the french.

At permie co, the two guys I work with seem to be regularly doing 7 hour days from what I can see, and nobody minds very much. I stick to doing more like 8 just because it's what I'm used to. I would say in this day and age a 40 hour week is about what any full time professional ought to do.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Most contracts are quoting a 'professional day' which is generally seen as 40 hrs per week inclusive of 30 minutes lunch break - so 37.5hrs graft. Just like others have said, you should always seek clarification of the client’s definition of a professional day (in written\email) prior to signing.
        You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

9 - 5.30 for me with a half hour for lunch. So thats a 40 hour week, but to be honest, I slope off when I want to get it to 37.5

Then with posting on here that reduces it to 17.5. I spend at least 1/2 hour a day relaxing in the bogs, and 2.5 hours a week making coffee. I reckon I'm managing 2.5 hours per day at the moment. My hourly rate is through the roof.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            My current client has a 35 hour standard week. When I was at LTSB, they did stipulate 40 excluding lunch. The norm appears to be 37.5 to 40 depending on the client.

TBH, I dont see how any contractor can work 35 hour week for 11 years on different contracts unless they were taking the piss or, possibly working in London.

Still, the OP reckoned the 40 hour week include 5 one hours lunches, presumably paid for by the client. What a plonker.
            My contract always stated 35 hours, but obviously had to do extra hours when required. Spoke to some other contractors who said most of there's was usually 35-37.5 hrs. I'm mainly have issue with the hours because I am in the process of turning down another contract which is 35 hours. As it stands the 35 hours contract is worth more than the 40 hours one.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            What a plonker.
            That's nice
            Last edited by aa2006; 10 May 2011, 19:38.

Comment

I've got a 39.5 hr/week contract excluding lunch, can't think why they choose such an odd number. Still paid by the hour so doesn't make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I spend at least 1/2 hour a day relaxing in the bogs,
                Good to hear someone surpasses even my extended bog trips.
                You ain't seen me, right!

Comment

MF, If you're relaxing why do you come back so red-faced and sweaty?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I've never heard of anyone doing a 35 hour week and calling it full time. Except maybe the french.
                    One of my family members, contractor, has had 35 hour weeks in the UK for years.

However his contract stated words about "getting the job done" so it averaged about 37 hours per week.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    At permie co, the two guys I work with seem to be regularly doing 7 hour days from what I can see, and nobody minds very much. I stick to doing more like 8 just because it's what I'm used to. I would say in this day and age a 40 hour week is about what any full time professional ought to do.
                    I tend to do 37.5 hour weeks.

If I'm contracted to do 40 hours and at a client site the extra 2.5 hours isn't used productively because I'm normally too tired on a Friday to do much work.

So the client actually loses through being more productive than the permies means they don't notice.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by akhtara7 View Post
                      That's nice
                      I agree with aktara7 on this one, calling newbie names is not done on the professional forums. Please note.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X