• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Writing services - worth it or waste of money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Writing services - worth it or waste of money?

Seem to be so many out there. Anyone ever used one thats been worthwhile?

I dont mind paying if its going to be worthwhile but I'm not so sure...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Seem to be so many out there. Anyone ever used one thats been worthwhile?

I dont mind paying if its going to be worthwhile but I'm not so sure...
    The only person that can write your CV effectively is yourself. There's plenty of free information on the web on how to improve your CV without spending any money on such services. I almost fell for the idea of getting my CV improved by a professional company, but they seem to fail to understand what my career goals were (regardless of wheter I failed to understand them either).
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      The only person that can write your CV effectively is yourself. There's plenty of free information on the web on how to improve your CV without spending any money on such services. I almost fell for the idea of getting my CV improved by a professional company, but they seem to fail to understand what my career goals were (regardless of wheter I failed to understand them either).
      Spot on, CV writing services are a complete waste of time, if you cannot sell yourself on a bit of paper what chance have you got in an interview, how can someone else you have never met put down on paper who you are and what you do

Comment

CV Writing

A collegue paid @ £200 to get them to produce a CV for him (he had one already but was not getting much joy).

He sent his existing CV then did a couple of 'interviews' with him and produced a CV for him. Must admit the CV they did looked better and some of the magic buzzwords were in the CV, he had some more interest from agents following this.

What I drew from the situation was, they are good for format, presentation and adding that little sexy buzzword terminology which agents love. Personally I update my CV for every role I apply for to tailor it to the role that I am applying for. I also think £200 is a bit steep for what they produce.

Comment

Unfortunately lots of Indians seem to use CV writing services this means when you get their CVs they all look very similar and read nearly the same. Often in roles I've been in where recruitment is going on, their CVs have ended up in the bin.

The best thing you can do for yourself:
          1. Do some web research on CVs and rewrite your CV yourself.

2. Get people involved in recruitment in your area to review it including agents. This is because different areas of work want different length and different information on a CV.

Even people on here will review your CV for you - just remove all identifying information from it, put it on the web and post a link.

3. Re-do your CV from the comments. You may end up with more than one version.

4. Make sure all the different versions of your CV are quick and easy to edit for when you are applying for roles. (Try and make sure you remember which CV you fired off for which role though agents don't mind if you ask them.)
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I paid £300 to fuller CV to get my cv done and at first I thought it was a total waste of money but as it turns out was well worth the investment. It also depends on the consultant you end up with, mine was ok but some are really good. You get what you pay for...

Comment

Wouldn't bother with a CV writing service. When looking for my last role and also previous I ask agents for their feedback, as they know what they would be looking for anyway. And as a result I have now got a pretty sh*t hot cv format, without having to pay for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Unfortunately lots of Indians seem to use CV writing services this means when you get their CVs they all look very similar and read nearly the same. Often in roles I've been in where recruitment is going on, their CVs have ended up in the bin.
                Im missing the bit where that is unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                  Im missing the bit where that is unfortunate.
                  Good point, well made.

Comment

Waste of time I think, how can somebody who doesn't know you or the companies you've worked for effectively document your day to day responsibilities or your accomplishments?

Comment

Working...
                    X