• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt out of Conduct of employment agencies 2003 act?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gman81 View Post
    Am I correct in that opting in or out of the agency regs does not affect the invoicing/payment/tax process at all?
    It does affect payment in favour of the contractor but it does not affect invoicing or tax.

I really would recommend that you research the opt-in pros and cons yourself (directly, not merely by asking us and getting second-hand advice).

The biggest sting since IR35? Employment Agency Regulations - the facts and myths for the IT contractor :: Contractor UK
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      It does affect payment in favour of the contractor but it does not affect invoicing or tax.

I really would recommend that you research the opt-in pros and cons yourself (directly, not merely by asking us and getting second-hand advice).

The biggest sting since IR35? Employment Agency Regulations - the facts and myths for the IT contractor :: Contractor UK
      Ok thanks for the advice, also, I received the following from the agency as info to help decide whether to op in or not, not sure if this helps though.

Pros - Advantages of opting out
      1. no increase in administration or forms to complete which could result in increased margins/costs to you
      2. avoid potential delays in starting your assignments
      3. less statutory restriction on your ability to substitute or sub-contract
      4. avoid any implication that you are under the client s control at al times (although you may agree to be)
      5. will assist in demonstrating that you operate outside IR35
      6. easier to show you are in business on your own account
      7. increases your marketability to clients & recruiters looking to reduce administration and place candidates quickly
      8. only one negotiation of contract terms in each case (rather than at the outset and at point of assignment)
      9. less requirements on you to provide information and confirmations
      10. more attractive to umbrellas and composite companies as they avoid increased statutory requirements

Cons - Disadvantages of opting out
      1. no additional protection regarding potentially onerous contract terms (existing statutory protection remains)
      2. no statutory entitlement to information regarding health and safety (although our terms deal with this)
      3. no minimal protection when required to work away from home
      4. no added protection regarding confidentiality (although Data Protection Act still applies)

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice, also, I received the following from the agency as info to help decide whether to op in or not, not sure if this helps though.

1. no increase in administration or forms to complete which could result in increased margins/costs to you
        4. avoid any implication that you are under the client s control at al times (although you may agree to be)
        7. increases your marketability to clients & recruiters looking to reduce administration and place candidates quickly
        8. only one negotiation of contract terms in each case (rather than at the outset and at point of assignment)
        10. more attractive to umbrellas and composite companies as they avoid increased statutory requirements

1. no additional protection regarding potentially onerous contract terms (existing statutory protection remains)
        2. no statutory entitlement to information regarding health and safety (although our terms deal with this)
        4. no added protection regarding confidentiality (although Data Protection Act still applies)
        Remember the agent is just the guy who has a vested interest in persuading you to opt out.

This is why they gave you 10 reason to opt out and only 4 to stay opted in.

I had an agent tell me the other day that I would be "deemed a direct employee of the client" if I didn't opt out.

Most of the reasons agents give you to opt out are rubbish.

Comment

OK, so let's look at thee one-by-one...

1. no increase in administration or forms to complete which could result in increased margins/costs to you - rubbish. Makes no difference to you, only the agency

2. avoid potential delays in starting your assignments - Rubbish

3. less statutory restriction on your ability to substitute or sub-contract - Rubbish, and irrelevant

4. avoid any implication that you are under the client s control at al times (although you may agree to be) - rubbish, D&C is not determined by your position under the Regs

5. will assist in demonstrating that you operate outside IR35 - Rubbish, your IR35 status is not linked to the Regs in any way

6. easier to show you are in business on your own account - Rubbish. Why?

7. increases your marketability to clients & recruiters looking to reduce administration and place candidates quickly - Might allow this one, but only becuase agencies cant be a**ed to apply the regs correctly

8. only one negotiation of contract terms in each case (rather than at the outset and at point of assignment) - Total rubbish.

9. less requirements on you to provide information and confirmations - Actually true, but I've yet to hear of an agency that doesn't demand a shedload of material anyway, so pointless

10. more attractive to umbrellas and composite companies as they avoid increased statutory requirements - Rubbish.

1. no additional protection regarding potentially onerous contract terms (existing statutory protection remains) - handcuff clauise and payment terms only, both of which are easily circumvented by both client and agency

2. no statutory entitlement to information regarding health and safety (although our terms deal with this) - Total bollocks

3. no minimal protection when required to work away from home - Total bollocks

4. no added protection regarding confidentiality (although Data Protection Act still applies) - Complete and total bollocks if the DPA applies

So, not even close. Look up your agent on LinkedIn. Bet you he was selling sporting goods a year ago.

Who are they, anyway?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've had to complete extra forms / provide more information, but it's never had any increased cost to me. It's increased the cost to the agency, probably.
            Only if the agency tw@t about and cause delays, but there is no reason for this.
            Wrong
            Wrong - it makes no difference
            Wrong - there is only additional admin for the agency if they don't know what they are doing and drag their feet. They need to determine you are who you say you are, and if you have told them of any qualifications, you have to prove it. Shouldn't take too long, so have no impact on marketability.
            Don't even understand that one!
            <buzz>Repetition!
            To opt out, you need to do it personally, and the umbrella needs to do it. So, opting out means that there is for the agency to do. They should already be checking you are who you say you are as you are their employee

Nicely, vaguely worded. i.e. you can go direct after the contract ends without needing an agent. You have the right to be paid for the work you do, even if the agency gets nothing.
            Woo.
            Again, woo.
            What confidentiality are they talking about? See what's in the contract instead.

The agent may have some kind of vested interest in getting you to opt out - they have to do more work, you have the right to get paid, and can bypass them in the future. It's not surprising they tout this tripe.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I will not be opting out, even though "most of their current contractors opt out", however I hope this does not influence the contract terms/conditions.

Comment

I will not be opting out, even though "most of their current contractors opt out", however I hope this does not influence the contract terms/conditions.
                Expect the agent to fob you off and delay the start date "whilst our legal team look at the issue of you not opting out".

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Expect the agent to fob you off and delay the start date "whilst our legal team look at the issue of you not opting out".

qh
                  Exactly what's happening to me now. Apparently, since 99% of their contractors opt out, they don't quite know what to do, but "legal" want to see me face to face, have certified copies of my passport, copies of all my educational certificates, and a health and safety report, whatever that is. I've contacted the client direct to say I'm happy I be joining their project, but that some red tape is delaying the contract beig signed. I've told the agent that my availability goes up from one day, to four weeks as of tomorrow, which is true. They seem quite adamant I have to opt out, or jump through unreasonable hoops, to secure the contract. Sounds fishy.

Comment

Even though three of our most senior members have just pointed out you appear to know squat about it?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
                      Apparently, since 99% of their contractors opt out, they don't quite know what to do, but "legal" want to see me face to face, have certified copies of my passport, copies of all my educational certificates, and a health and safety report, whatever that is. I've contacted the client direct to say I'm happy I be joining their project, but that some red tape is delaying the contract beig signed
                      Get the certified copies of the documents and send them in, also tell them you will take the originals with you on your first day for the client to sight when you start work. There is no need to meet with their legal people, they are only going to try and harass or bully you. If you do go and meet them then I would be inclined to record the conversation for your records.

Don't forget that the agency regulations protect the client as well as the worker so it's also in the client's interests for you to stay opted in. Tell the agency quite bluntly that if they mess you around then you will speak to the client and tell them exactly what's going on and that the agency are deliberately being obtuse because you have refused to opt out of the agency regulations.

Good luck
                      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                      X