• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dark Side Looms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Side Looms

Will be moving to a perm role at ClientCo in next couple of weeks.

Money won't be near as good but need a little stability for a few months.

Also interested to see whether I can climb further up the corporate ladder (I think it's much harder to get senior roles if you are a contractor)

Wife has spent all the war chest and I don't have the balls to walk and wait for the next role.

Been contracting for 15 years. Feels like the end of an era.

15 years contracting and you are potless ??? A divorce can give you a kicking but this does sound a bit reckless. Warchest should be brimming at this stage !!

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
      Will be moving to a perm role at ClientCo in next couple of weeks.

Money won't be near as good but need a little stability for a few months.

Also interested to see whether I can climb further up the corporate ladder (I think it's much harder to get senior roles if you are a contractor)

Wife has spent all the war chest and I don't have the balls to walk and wait for the next role.

Been contracting for 15 years. Feels like the end of an era.
      Doesn't sound very permanent to me

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        Doesn't sound very permanent to me
        hahahaha well spotted.

Monzamike I recently started a fixed term permy role after being a contractor since '95. I almost hung up on the agent when he said fixed term perm but I'm glad I didn't. When I add up all the perks and holidays etc plus the massively subsidised full cafe, the 9% pension contribution ON TOP, plus I still get to do some freelance contract work for my last clientco, it's not that bad.

It's a 7 hour day (never did less than 40+ hours a week as a contractor) but I can elect to do an extra 22 minutes a day and get a flexi day each month so add that to the 4 weeks paid leave and 18 personal days plus paid stats I'm getting over 2 months off a year. Paid. Just had Queens Birthday long weekend - I got paid to be at the beach. So basically I'm here for about 10 months, get a ton of perks (free gym etc etc etc), get close to what I was getting on contract plus pension, without any of the contractor hassles (tax, paperwork, IR35 etc etc). It's a nice change, and one that doesn't have to be permanent.

State of the global economy at present and recovery being so slow to get underway if I were you I'd take the easy way out for a year until Summer 2012 and then see how things are looking contract-wise. It'll swing round again but in the meantime... put your wife back out to work and get her restocking the war chest while you cruise through the permy thing

Comment

...and just found out that there is a bank holiday (a real one, just for banks) on August 1, so thats *another* paid day off.

Comment

Working...
          X