• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4th week in - done about 1 days actual work so far :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I assume you have still invoiced though for those 3 weeks!

I was like this at the current gig, I just tried to keep my self busy more sanity reason more than anything else, I just has to look over what ever documentation they had to try and get up to speed while I waited.
    Yeh. Of course. Even though its not what I want its not my fault its like this!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are a Ltd providing a service. They have contracted your time to use as it suits their business needs. The fact you are there and ready to work means you are earning your money by being available. If they have nothing for you to do just for now is not an issue, it is part of the supplier/client way. It's bloody hard doing nothing all day, I hate it but its the way of the world and the good guys struggle through it. The ones that fail are the ones that cave and start messing about on web, complaining and so on. Call it your first test of your willpower.
      yes just coming to the end of a three monther - took five weeks for them to supply a pc for me (i was bringing in my own laptop from day 2!) I still don't have a login to the ClientsCo's IT just the outsourcer I'm currently working for. There is plenty of work to be doing - just no equipment to fulfill the need so all the calls are on hold and I left sat on me a**e trying to look busy.

fortunately my old boss called last week asking if I'd be interested in coming back so no need to take the renewal! Happy to be leaving but I only took the job as it was close enough to go home for lunch. Agency told me I had a four week notice period (with less than three weeks to go) so i politely explained that as my contract only has three weeks to run I wouldn't be renewing it.

I feel for you - hate not having something meaningful to do and the days do just drag, but as long as the money is coming in and you've something to put in your CV then ignore it - do some online courses to skill up and when they want you to do something they will tell you

Comment

Originally posted by kingmob View Post
        yes just coming to the end of a three monther - took five weeks for them to supply a pc for me (i was bringing in my own laptop from day 2!) I still don't have a login to the ClientsCo's IT just the outsourcer I'm currently working for. There is plenty of work to be doing - just no equipment to fulfill the need so all the calls are on hold and I left sat on me a**e trying to look busy.

fortunately my old boss called last week asking if I'd be interested in coming back so no need to take the renewal! Happy to be leaving but I only took the job as it was close enough to go home for lunch. Agency told me I had a four week notice period (with less than three weeks to go) so i politely explained that as my contract only has three weeks to run I wouldn't be renewing it.

I feel for you - hate not having something meaningful to do and the days do just drag, but as long as the money is coming in and you've something to put in your CV then ignore it - do some online courses to skill up and when they want you to do something they will tell you

Yeh. I guess.

I just wonder sometimes whether I should be hassling them a bit more or just sit back and wait for things to happen?

Personally, I'm the sort who goes and gets things sorted out, hassles people to get things done, gets things organised so its frustrating to be sitting here. I'm wary that I am just a contractor sitting at client site so not really my shout to get too involved.

Comment

Read a couple of my past threads - plenty of advice given on this. Out of 4 contracts this has happened 2 times. It also happened in both my permie roles subsequent to that. SH1T happens

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Read a couple of my past threads - plenty of advice given on this. Out of 4 contracts this has happened 2 times. It also happened in both my permie roles subsequent to that. SH1T happens
            Comes with the territory. It happend to me me in my last contract, I working in a different office to my line manager. I just used that time to catch up on new skills, do my paper work and do my own personal Sh*t.

Comment

With 7 weeks left of a 5 month contract I still haven't got all the access I need due to the delays processing the vetting
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Week two for me on my second temporary desk but now have a pc! No login, but a pc! Running Windows 2000.....

I got a scabby old keyboard with pubes in it and a mouse with a ball in the bottom!

Can't read any docs cos clientco uses PGP and the only guy who can authorise a licence is off long term and there's no-one else...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Week two for me on my second temporary desk but now have a pc! No login, but a pc! Running Windows 2000.....

I got a scabby old keyboard with pubes in it and a mouse with a ball in the bottom!

Can't read any docs cos clientco uses PGP and the only guy who can authorise a licence is off long term and there's no-one else...
                  Could be time to get right into a good Peter F Hamilton trilogy. The Nights Dawn one is pretty good and comes in at over 2000 pages....

Or with windows 2000 it could be time to brush up on your Freecell and get certified (CFE: Certified Freecell Expert)...

Set up an Ebay shop flogging solar panels or garden gnomes or something similar and run it from work (free stationary!) ...

Do all those boring personal chores you normally do at home in the work bathroom - shaving, bashing one out in the shower, taking a good long dump while reading the paper, plucking nose hairs, removing unwanted hair from your nuts and crack etc etc. Maximise your home time! ...

Facebook ....

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                    Could be time to get right into a good Peter F Hamilton trilogy. The Nights Dawn one is pretty good and comes in at over 2000 pages....

Or with windows 2000 it could be time to brush up on your Freecell and get certified (CFE: Certified Freecell Expert)...

Set up an Ebay shop flogging solar panels or garden gnomes or something similar and run it from work (free stationary!) ...

Do all those boring personal chores you normally do at home in the work bathroom - shaving, bashing one out in the shower, taking a good long dump while reading the paper, plucking nose hairs, removing unwanted hair from your nuts and crack etc etc. Maximise your home time! ...

Facebook ....
                    I've frequently had what I call £20 dumps..... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
                      Comes with the territory. It happend to me me in my last contract, I working in a different office to my line manager. I just used that time to catch up on new skills, do my paper work and do my own personal Sh*t.
                      Same with me - different office which does cause problems...

Comment

Working...
                      X