• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4th week in - done about 1 days actual work so far :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th week in - done about 1 days actual work so far :-(

Sounds like fun being money for nothing but its starting to my chunk in now....

Just starting my 4th week, and still no proper PC, login, email address etc.

The thing is they dont even seem bothered! Ive tried and tried to get something productive to do but I get the impression I'm just seen as a bit of a PITA because I keep hassling. I think the project people are waiting for the IT people to sort something out before they even bother !!!

Anyone else had anything similar ever? Like I said, sounds great but theres only so many manuals you can read and I'd much rather be doing something !!!!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Bring in your own laptop, and keep learning new skills. You can even ask the IT to give you a temp login to the dev environment, if you are too keen into starting on your own. I would just take this opportunity to up-skill myself and some market research about new and upcoming hot skill set.
    I would only ask about the status of my loging and other IT credentials once a week, preferably on tuesday, and just keep the contact person on the client side in the loop.

Comment

Done 3 weeks like this in the past and I didn't have a desk during that time either. It was a right PITA even if I was getting paid. Started visiting and staying in the coffee place on site and shortening hours as much as possible.
      I had been benched for a while so there was no chance I was going to sit at home till they sorted it.
      Was hard to get back up to a decent work level after spending so long bored off my skull !

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
        Bring in your own laptop, and keep learning new skills. You can even ask the IT to give you a temp login to the dev environment, if you are too keen into starting on your own. I would just take this opportunity to up-skill myself and some market research about new and upcoming hot skill set.
        I would only ask about the status of my loging and other IT credentials once a week, preferably on tuesday, and just keep the contact person on the client side in the loop.
        Fortunately, I do have a temporary laptop with internet access. :-)

Comment

Why are you so bothered by it? You are billing, you are not slacking, you are waiting for the client. It's boring yes but you are being paid. Where is the problem?

Read manuals, invoice and chill.

Edit.... and don't be messing about on the web which will p*ss of your permie colleagues. Do some hard word first before getting the reputation you play on the internet all day.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            Done 3 weeks like this in the past and I didn't have a desk during that time either. It was a right PITA even if I was getting paid. Started visiting and staying in the coffee place on site and shortening hours as much as possible.
            I had been benched for a while so there was no chance I was going to sit at home till they sorted it.
            Was hard to get back up to a decent work level after spending so long bored off my skull !
            LOL. At least I got a desk and temp laptop I suppose. Could be worse !!!!!

But, as you know, it sounds great but does do your head in. I'm just dying to do something cos the day drags when you're doing next to nothing. And, of course, I'm wary of overusing the web access just in case....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Why are you so bothered by it? You are billing, you are not slacking, you are waiting for the client. It's boring yes but you are being paid. Where is the problem?

Edit.... and don't be messing about on the web which will p*ss of your permie colleagues. Do some hard word first before getting the reputation you play on the internet all day.
              I'm bothered by it because I'd like to be doing something for my money and dont like the idea of getting paid shedloads for doing nothing. Bit of a dull attitude maybe but thats what I'm like.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And I've pretty much run out of manuals now !!!!

Comment

I assume you have still invoiced though for those 3 weeks!

I was like this at the current gig, I just tried to keep my self busy more sanity reason more than anything else, I just has to look over what ever documentation they had to try and get up to speed while I waited.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    I'm bothered by it because I'd like to be doing something for my money and dont like the idea of getting paid shedloads for doing nothing. Bit of a dull attitude maybe but thats what I'm like.....
                    You are a Ltd providing a service. They have contracted your time to use as it suits their business needs. The fact you are there and ready to work means you are earning your money by being available. If they have nothing for you to do just for now is not an issue, it is part of the supplier/client way.

Every contract tends to be different and you are going to have to adapt quick. What you did in permie land is now largely irrelevant. Some contract will be crap boring and not a challange. You have to fullfil in professionally. Some will expect you to be an expert by the 2nd day and work you like a dog, you also have to do that professionally.

It's bloody hard doing nothing all day, I hate it but its the way of the world and the good guys struggle through it. The ones that fail are the ones that cave and start messing about on web, complaining and so on. Call it your first test of your willpower.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X