• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract but do I have grounds to switch agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    I'm still on a learning curve, so please don't bully me. I really could do with some tips. Agent A has told me that the contract is still being signed off at the client end. Now from my end, and having reading a few posts on the subject, I need to ask Agent A for a 'sample' or 'in principle' type of contract now?
    Generally if the agency is large or their contract is one that has actually seen the hands of a solicitor, they will send you a copy of the contract via email as soon as you ask for it.

Solicitors phrase things in a particular way.

Once you start reading a few contracts and get solicitors to write things for you in legal speak, you can then start seeing which contracts have had clauses and phrases which have been added to by the agencies themselves.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If all else fails I have the desk phone number of the hiring manager (he actually gave me his number to call if I hadn't heard back by the end of this week) I could always call him and explain that I wanted the role, but was unable to accept it due to financial constraints (or something along those lines) Last thing I need is for the agency to drop me in the tulip by telling the hiring manager that my reasons for not accepting the contract are anything different.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        I actually disagree with you on that. I am on 30 days with my current agent and this is becoming more and more prevalent. I am in the porstion to actually look at my agents vendor account and I can see that thay are paid 45 days.
        And what does that have to do with anything? (them getting paid on 45 days..which is actually pretty good for a agency, known many than have not got their money for 90 days)

Unless they are taking a very small margin they should be factoring for the contractor, otherwise take themselves out of the equation after a few months

Actually experience has taught me, longer they take to pay contractor, bigger their margin is, it's about greed.

Anyone who has ever been burned by agency going under (like myself) never accepts payment terms like that. Losing about 5-6 weeks expected earning is bad enough, 8-9 weeks can mess up your entire year
        Last edited by Not So Wise; 16 June 2011, 14:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post

Anyone who has ever been burned by agency going under (like myself) never accepts payment terms like that. Losing about 5-6 weeks expected earning is bad enough, 8-9 weeks can mess up your entire year
          I'm one of the ex-Pendragon contractors, so nuff said!

Comment

Working...
          X