• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right of Substitution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right of Substitution

Anyone ever done it?

i.e. Sent in someone else to do it instead of you?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Yes.

Comment

WHS
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

No
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

5 years contracting and this is the one area I have yet to fully explore.

I always make sure my contracts have a clause that allows this, but have never had cause to exercise it.

I have worked with around 40 contractors over the years and it's a question I always ask them. None of them have ever used the substitution clause.

So that's my experience, but as you can see, 2 people on here have already said they have.

For all the contracts I've ever worked in, I just can't imagine me saying to the agency/end client boss that I'm leaving but want to send in someone else, vetted by them of course.

Now of course my contracts say I can, but I am convinced they (either client or agent) would simply hand me my notice and arrange their own replacement, even though this may take longer, and possibly cost them more to do so.

Comment

To add a little context, I've done it twice (same client, different contracts, different roles). The slight difference from the expected norm (if there is one) was that the client knew the substitute as he had previously contracted with them in a similar role.

Once was to cover a holiday period I had already arranged and agreed but project slippage put it at a critical point, so someone was required and I wasn't missing a holiday for it

Second time was when a project became a 24/7 development/testing/release type scenario due to slippage, and rather than bring in someone else, I suggested that I could cover my role with a sub. We pretty much ended up with me billing 24 hours a day against my contract and paying the sub, who was on a contract to my co.

It can be done, but i do agree, it's fairly rare.

Comment

Those of you said yes. In what circumstances and what were the skill sets?

Its just that surely the new person coming in would have little knowledge of the project you're working in so would have a certain amount of time to get up to speed. I cant see how a client would ever let you send someone else in for, say, 2 weeks.

Obviously, your responsibilities are an issue. I guess a coder is easier to substitute than an integration/support/sys admin person where a degree of specific project knoweldge is needed.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Its just that surely the new person coming in would have little knowledge of the project you're working in so would have a certain amount of time to get up to speed. I cant see how a client would ever let you send someone else in for, say, 2 weeks.

Obviously, your responsibilities are an issue. I guess a coder is easier to substitute than an integration/support/sys admin person where a degree of specific project knoweldge is needed.
                I think there is a clue in there as to why you can't see how it would work.

There is a whole big world of IT contracting out there that doesn't include imaging PCs, resetting passwords and copying code examples from the internet.

There are people who maintain lists of things and count columns of notional money numbers. I believe they are called 'Project Managers'.

There are also others who sit around and bulltulip about blue skys, straw men, helicopter views, synergies, leverage and 'technology spaces'.

HTH

Comment

I know 2 pairs of people who have done it.

One guy use to send his wife to cover for him if he couldn't come in for any reason. They definitely weren't coders more PM types.(I was sent to find one of them and found the other.)

Another 2 guys both worked part-time on completely different projects. If one of them was going on holiday or couldn't come in as they had another client the other would agree to be their substitute if he was available. Some of their work did involve coding but most of it was analyst work. (I use to share an office with them and ended up answering their phones if they weren't around. )

Oh and I've been the substitute for someone but it was for a day. After being briefed all I had to do is sit in a long meeting and mostly listen to a bulltulipter then write a report.

Talking to the 2 guys who use to substitute for each other it was actually the coding work they couldn't easily substitute on as there the other work was easy.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How to handle a substitute

For those of you that have made a substition how did you manage it from a paperwork and payment point of view?

Assuming you have clientco (and agent) approval was it as simple as your susbstitute sent you an invoice and you paid that invoice or did you have to get some form of contract in place between your Ltd and substitutes Ltd?

Comment

Working...
                    X