• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£550/day vs £70k

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Mmmm, contractor website, and you ask this!

Contract all the way.
    Yeah, asking out of interest more than anything else.

Comment

If you take the contract option at 550pd and if you work every possible day, you should be able to get your 70K in a little over 6 months, what's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        If you take the contract option at 550pd and if you work every possible day, you should be able to get your 70K in a little over 6 months, what's not to like?
        Also you won't be paying the 40% tax rate. You will save 20% tax on everything over 40k and you can pay as little NI as you wish. Also you can claim loads of expenses which will reduce your tax bill. Overall you will be getting a lot more than the net of 70k in 6 months - then you can have a 6 month holiday.

Comment

My ltd co has been going for 5 years. I've never been on as much as £550/day. I've had 15 months off bench in those 5 years.

My analysis of my income shows that I've had the same benefits as £70k perm job.

In reality I would never have been given a £70k perm job but a £35k perm job at best.

So for me, contracting has turned out much better. Twice as good. Loads more time off.

The only downsides for me would be the travelling + hotels required for some contracts. But if you're a consultant in a perm job they just send you to sites anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            My ltd co has been going for 5 years. I've never been on as much as £550/day. I've had 15 months off bench in those 5 years.

My analysis of my income shows that I've had the same benefits as £70k perm job.

In reality I would never have been given a £70k perm job but a £35k perm job at best.

So for me, contracting has turned out much better. Twice as good. Loads more time off.

The only downsides for me would be the travelling + hotels required for some contracts. But if you're a consultant in a perm job they just send you to sites anyway.
            "of" bench or "off" bench?

I presume you were benched for 15 months of the 5 years.

As you say depends what you are capable of earning in your locality as to what makes a good contract rate.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              "of" bench or "off" bench?

I presume you were benched for 15 months of the 5 years.

As you say depends what you are capable of earning in your locality as to what makes a good contract rate.
              on bench for 15 out of the 60 months in that 5 years.

In a 70k job you wouldn't get that much time out from working in 5 years. Plus I've put in 60k into a pension in 5 years, again I doubt you'd get that much from a 70k job. All in all, contracting has worked much better than 70k job and I didn't need to earn £550/day to get it. If you can earn £550/day then you'd easily meet the benefits of a 70k job.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                So what do you want 30-40 grand extra in the bank or "intangibles", your choice.
                Surely we can calculate the value of these intangibles and I suspect they would be worth less than the 30-40grand extra in bank.

So intangibles would be future promotions, say, or any other benefits from being a loyal permie. Well if you don't get those future promotions or if company strips away other loyalty benefits then it's not worth much at all !

Comment

Do you weant job stability or not? If you want stability take the contract.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Do you weant job stability or not? If you want stability take the contract.

HTH
                    lol

all the permies I know are constantly worried about their jobs, always rumours circulating that their jobs will be exported

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post

in fact although travel often comes with the higher paid perm roles its possible to be sent all sorts of places for long durations and still get paid under £35K... I've just taken a 600 a day role, it's subject to IR35 but I think it still works out to the equiv of £108K.... now I'd never be paid that much perm (nowhere near) but also wouldn't want a perm job that paid that much as the majority of them will be stressful with lots of travel etc...
                      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                      X