• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CRB check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the document in front of me, all it says is "apply for a CRB check and/or to register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority".

Got the CRB logo, Liverpool address at the top, the form address reads
    "Vero Screening Ltd" in Hove if that's any further info?

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
      There won't be an extension. At least one contractor has been asked to go permie. End client don't seem to be the most aware about contractors and the differences from permies.

Even if an extension was offered, it would be refused, tbh.

I guess my concern is more along the lines of having any form in the hands of clueless people which has no relevance whatsoever to the terms of the contract or work arising in the duration of that contract, which has been applied as a blanket "future tender" check purely to answer questions their future clients may have. Especially when permies and contractors are being treated precisely the same way in this matter.

If the contract required CRB - which it doesn't - then I'd have been happy to have filled out the required form prior to starting the gig.
      In that case, be firm. "Sorry, you'll need to negotiate that with my agency". Then tell the agency that they're not going to renew you so you're not going to play along. Also, it's worth pointing out that even if you did fill the thing in that you'd most likely be out of the company before the certificate arrived!

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
        Got the document in front of me, all it says is "apply for a CRB check and/or to register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority".

Got the CRB logo, Liverpool address at the top, the form address reads
        "Vero Screening Ltd" in Hove if that's any further info?
        The firm does both checks so that doesn't really help. Vero Employee Screening Products & Services
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just an update for those concerned.

Well, for my sanity.

Queried it yesterday with agent; she said it wasn't needed for our roles based on her understanding of our contracts, which is entirely true. She'd query it with the accounts manager.

A few hours later, company invokes notice period. And now today, querying the timesheet even though it's kosher.

I'm not too upset, tbh, got an interview elsewhere on Monday anyway, longer term contract, higher paid and I know for a fact this other company deals well with contractors.

I've done what I can to neuter any "potentially inside IR35" requests the company have made, but it has to be said their business knowledge is almost as good as the quality of software they produce...

Comment

Basic Disclosure for contract jobs

Any one know if inv banks do a basic disclosure check for all IT contract jobs? I have an 'unspent' one which will show up in the basic disclosure - but want to know if all such employers do such a disclosure.

Comment

Can you tell them yourCo is responsible for checking all employees meet any required status - if your client requires everyone to be checked then maybe your company should check you.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As a matter of course I would go along with these checks for 2 reasons - I have nothing to hide and I want to keep them on my side.
                However, I could also find many reasons to delay the return of these forms, including just ignoring them till chased, followed by not having the documents, all at parents house, might be in the loft, not planning to visit for a while etc etc.
                Especially if I was only a few weeks away from finishing. You have to play the game sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Can you tell them yourCo is responsible for checking all employees meet any required status - if your client requires everyone to be checked then maybe your company should check you.
                  Nope.

Won't work.

Any company regulated by the FSA has to have processes in place to ensure that the workers they hire aren't likely to commit fraud, just like if you have to be security cleared personally to do defence work.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by pootle View Post
                    There are 2 types of CRB check,

Disclosure Scotland-which checks for unspent convictions, and a Full CRB check which discloses everything.

Usually a full CRB check can only be requested if you are in an excepted occupation, as per link provided by Sue Ellen.

The controversy arises when clients/agencies submit requests for a Full CRB check stating an excepted job title which differs to the actual non-excepted job title. This smacks of abuse of the system.
                    Disclosure Scotland checks for naughty boy cautions and full on convictions.

Somehow I have got through life with an empty record on both which my last client was quite adamant they wanted to know and never bothered checking the form.

Police records are quite different and check out when you were 'booked' which is nothing more than having you name taken when you got drunk or reported a crime. Clients will never check for that nor ask.

I wrote a great deal of these systems with police staff who were on the database for drunken mistermeaners themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X