• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Timer: live in Belgium, invoice through UK Ltd... any advice?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Timer: live in Belgium, invoice through UK Ltd... any advice?!

Hi!

A newbie here and not even sure if i'll be a 'contractor' with my future plans, hoping someone out there can read and let me know something...

I live in Belgium, resident, for the past few months. Planning on staying here for a while. I was employed by a Belgian company but decided to quit after the trial period and offer my services as an independant/contractor (they work with many already and are happy to keep me around for 10-15 days a month).

My planned setup is to run through my friends LTD company in the UK so I can use them to invoice and receive the funds. I don't have a degree so can't setup my own company here, and I don't plan to work all year round (will be taking breaks throughout the year).

The Belgium side of stuff I'm trying to look into (how to continue paying SS, and what % of income tax I have to pay here) to know what I need to do to stay legal. But in the meantime I'd like to ask these basic questions:

- Will I be a 'contractor' with this planned setup? (and therefore am I OK to post in here with you guys?! ) I'm just curious what my status will be with this setup!
    - Whats the minimum daily rate considering my setup and the fact it's my first time? Does 300 Euros/day sound about right?
    - What should I look out for doing this? Are there any risks with this kind of setup?
    - The UK LTD company is owned by a good friend, do I really need to think about having a contract with them (I'll be his employee) is this needed to show the UK/BE authorities?
    - What kind of contract should I create with the company in Belgium? I guess that should be between the BE & UK company (and again, is it really needed?)

I've a whole load of basic questions like this but as I'm a little nervous trying to setup my first contract I'd like to try and get it as right as possible.

I'm also a newbie to Belgium (arrive in January) so still getting to grips with the language and paperwork etc..

Looking forward to anyone who can give me some confidence with my first contract!!

Thanks to anyone who may respond
    Kiwi

You need to register the Ltd in Belgium. If this company does business in the UK then it gets complicated as you need to setup a branch in Belgium. The Ltd or branch of the Ltd will be taxed in Belgium. Essentially all the work you do in Belgium will be taxed there. There will probably be no tax at all to pay in the UK, as it will be paid in Belgium. The Ltd or branch will be subject to most of the Belgian regulations, usually just the registration is done according to UK law, but once your company is running it effectively becomes a Belgian co (i.e. charging Belgian VAT and employees paying Belgian social security etc). You'll need a Belgian accountant. I think you'd be better off setting up a different company, as it will get complicated. It maybe easier just to go with a reputable umbrella co. Be extremely wary of schemes with a high take home. Go for the Umbrellas with a low take home, because they'll be fully legal, the only difference between Umbrellas should be the charge.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 7 September 2011, 15:47.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

living and regisered in belgium......but still have a uk limited running.

Hi, i am now living and registered in belgium, but still have a uk limited company.
      although i have been a contractor who worked here in belgium and invoiced through his own uk ltd, i now have a fultime job paying belgium tax.
      since ive been here i have noticed a great shortfall in quality tradesman across all sectors.at the job i started ,they had been searching someone for nearly a year!.
      this has got me thinking of registering my uk limited company here ,renting an office and employing staff from uk to work here in belgium.
      normally, supply and demand would dictate thet people would already be doing this,but to be honest i dont know of any agencies that are doing so. is there any pittfalls that i should be care full of?
      as far as i can work out.... as long as you employ them through their own uk ltd ,or umbrella company you then bypass the LIMOSA formalities ...??

Comment

I'm working in Belgium now. I have been persuaded to go through an umbrella that the agent/client consider "compliant".

I've chosen Globo - mainly because their takehome % was quoted as 72%. However the reality is, now that I've been here a couple of months, that the actual % is just less than 70%.

Comment

Hi!

After long time of the last post, maybe you can help me as you have now more experience and I'm lost...

I would like to contact you as I want to start a UK LTD but living and working in Belgium...

As I'm new in the forum, I have no choice to do so, so I would like if you can contact me.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards!

Comment

Working...
          X