• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview and Rates negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Thanks for all your input. I got the response from the agency that I didnt got the contract. The agent said that they found someone who was nearer (I was travelling about an hour). The interview itself went really well and I thought interviewer was interested.

Personally I don't believe what the agency said.

What is your take on that? Should I contact the employer directly to find out the real reason?

thx

Comment

For the first time in over 14 years of contracting, right at the beginning of the interview for the current client, I was asked my rate. Must admit I was taken aback at this but I told them.

TBH I'd rather this was the norm since then the client knows how much Im getting and how much the agent is taking them for a ride. In this case, I know the agent isnt on a big margin and I suspect this is because they know the client asks contractors how much they get.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
        Hi,

Thanks for all your input. I got the response from the agency that I didnt got the contract. The agent said that they found someone who was nearer (I was travelling about an hour). The interview itself went really well and I thought interviewer was interested.

Personally I don't believe what the agency said.

What is your take on that? Should I contact the employer directly to find out the real reason?

thx
        I've phone one or two clients in the past to find out why I didnt get the role. If you arent happy with the agent's answer, contact the client and ask them if they'd mind giving feedback.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Called back client

Hi,

I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.

Comment

Hi,

I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.
            As others have mentioned, I've asked for direct feedback a few times. Mainly for the interviews where I thought I was nailed on for the role and it's a client right in the middle of my target range. Once resulted in me getting angry with the agent because the feedback is that I was "too expensive" and I found I was being pimped out at a shamefully high rate compared to what I'd discussed with the agent. Another was a misunderstanding, client thought I was averse to travelling to other sites when they needed flexibility, I corrected them very politely, we agreed that it was a miscommunication, probably my fault, and I got a role with them without interview about two years later with the same guy.

Agents never like you going directly to the client for feedback, probably paranoia that you'll poison their relationship somehow.

Comment

In which case should I call back the agent about this? (Not calling back would make things worse?)

Comment

In which case should I call back the agent about this? (Not calling back would make things worse?)
                If you're unsuccessful, you owe the agency nothing. They owe you nothing and you'll see it in how much they care about keeping in touch now.

Most agents won't go back for feedback for you regardless of what they say, they'll palm you off with a "the other guy fitted their needs better but you were a close second" to get you to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                  If you're unsuccessful, you owe the agency nothing. They owe you nothing and you'll see it in how much they care about keeping in touch now.

Most agents won't go back for feedback for you regardless of what they say, they'll palm you off with a "the other guy fitted their needs better but you were a close second" to get you to go away.
                  I understand your point. But for the sake future applications (or for limiting the damage done) should I call the agent back to clerify that it was not in my intention to create problem with the client it was purely for getting detail feedback?

PS It there anything such as blacklist among agencies ?

Comment

I understand your point. But for the sake future applications (or for limiting the damage done) should I call the agent back to clerify that it was not in my intention to create problem with the client it was purely for getting detail feedback?

PS It there anything such as blacklist among agencies ?
                    As long as you've not been personally vindictive towards the agent then you'll be forgotten about by the end of this week (and yes, it is Thursday).

On your PS, no. I've annoyed enough crap agents in the past that I'd be living in a cardboard box by now if there were a blacklist!

Comment

Hi,

I wouldn't bother chasing to phone them back. If they do phone you again, and they do get shirty, just play dumb, ask what the problem is? Why is that a problem etc.

Don't make a big deal about though.

Comment

Working...
                      X