Interview and Rates negotiation Interview and Rates negotiation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hi,

    Thanks for all your input. I got the response from the agency that I didnt got the contract. The agent said that they found someone who was nearer (I was travelling about an hour). The interview itself went really well and I thought interviewer was interested.

    Personally I don't believe what the agency said.

    What is your take on that? Should I contact the employer directly to find out the real reason?

    thx

  2. #12

    Godlike

    BolshieBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Blissful retirement, yes, really!
    Posts
    5,713

    Default

    For the first time in over 14 years of contracting, right at the beginning of the interview for the current client, I was asked my rate. Must admit I was taken aback at this but I told them.

    TBH I'd rather this was the norm since then the client knows how much Im getting and how much the agent is taking them for a ride. In this case, I know the agent isnt on a big margin and I suspect this is because they know the client asks contractors how much they get.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

  3. #13

    Godlike

    BolshieBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Blissful retirement, yes, really!
    Posts
    5,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acontractor View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for all your input. I got the response from the agency that I didnt got the contract. The agent said that they found someone who was nearer (I was travelling about an hour). The interview itself went really well and I thought interviewer was interested.

    Personally I don't believe what the agency said.

    What is your take on that? Should I contact the employer directly to find out the real reason?

    thx
    I've phone one or two clients in the past to find out why I didnt get the role. If you arent happy with the agent's answer, contact the client and ask them if they'd mind giving feedback.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

  4. #14

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default Called back client

    Hi,

    I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

    However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

    Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.

  5. #15

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acontractor View Post
    Hi,

    I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

    However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

    Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.
    As others have mentioned, I've asked for direct feedback a few times. Mainly for the interviews where I thought I was nailed on for the role and it's a client right in the middle of my target range. Once resulted in me getting angry with the agent because the feedback is that I was "too expensive" and I found I was being pimped out at a shamefully high rate compared to what I'd discussed with the agent. Another was a misunderstanding, client thought I was averse to travelling to other sites when they needed flexibility, I corrected them very politely, we agreed that it was a miscommunication, probably my fault, and I got a role with them without interview about two years later with the same guy.

    Agents never like you going directly to the client for feedback, probably paranoia that you'll poison their relationship somehow.

  6. #16

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    In which case should I call back the agent about this? (Not calling back would make things worse?)

  7. #17

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acontractor View Post
    In which case should I call back the agent about this? (Not calling back would make things worse?)
    If you're unsuccessful, you owe the agency nothing. They owe you nothing and you'll see it in how much they care about keeping in touch now.

    Most agents won't go back for feedback for you regardless of what they say, they'll palm you off with a "the other guy fitted their needs better but you were a close second" to get you to go away.

  8. #18

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    If you're unsuccessful, you owe the agency nothing. They owe you nothing and you'll see it in how much they care about keeping in touch now.

    Most agents won't go back for feedback for you regardless of what they say, they'll palm you off with a "the other guy fitted their needs better but you were a close second" to get you to go away.
    I understand your point. But for the sake future applications (or for limiting the damage done) should I call the agent back to clerify that it was not in my intention to create problem with the client it was purely for getting detail feedback?

    PS It there anything such as blacklist among agencies ?

  9. #19

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acontractor View Post
    I understand your point. But for the sake future applications (or for limiting the damage done) should I call the agent back to clerify that it was not in my intention to create problem with the client it was purely for getting detail feedback?

    PS It there anything such as blacklist among agencies ?
    As long as you've not been personally vindictive towards the agent then you'll be forgotten about by the end of this week (and yes, it is Thursday).

    On your PS, no. I've annoyed enough crap agents in the past that I'd be living in a cardboard box by now if there were a blacklist!

  10. #20

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acontractor View Post
    Hi,

    I have called back the client directly about the feedback. They gave the same feedback and said they would be happy to give me a call directly next time.

    However I got call from the agent (which I missed being at work at the moment). I think the agent might not be very pleased with me calling the client. The call was not to snitch the agency's client but to get more detail feedback.

    Did I made a mistake ? (I personally dont think I did) Does this have negative effect on my furture applications? I am tiny bit worried about this.
    I wouldn't bother chasing to phone them back. If they do phone you again, and they do get shirty, just play dumb, ask what the problem is? Why is that a problem etc.

    Don't make a big deal about though.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •