• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview and Rates negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of years ago, for the first time in a decade a client asked me what rate I was after during a phone interview. When the client pushed I gave the figure of £45p/h that I had agreed with the agent. Client said "Oh that's good then as we've agreed £60p/h in total to the agency"

Shortly after, I was offered the role but at a greatly reduced rate. When I insisted on the previously agreed rate the agent said that their margin didn't allow them to offer me that. I left the agent with the option of my £45p/h or I'd turn the role down and the agent took the latter option.

I left the client a very polite voice mail explaining that the agent had dropped my agreed rate considerably and was unwilling to move. Sadly for me the agent had an exclusivity agreement with the client and so we all lost out as he wouldn't budge on his cut.

UBP

Comment

Recorded phone

The agent called this evening and wasnt happy with me contacting the client. I tried to tell him that I didn't knew it would have any implications (which I really didn't knew anyway).

He did mentioned that the telephone conversation in which he gave me feedback few days ago was recorded and he sent it to the client that the agency has given me the feedback (which I never denied.) He told me that I told the client that the agency didn't gave me any feedback (which is a LIE).

Anyway during the conversation I told the agent that I was not aware of the fact that it will be such a big deal. and it was purely for getting some technical feedback rather then "they found someone better". I also apologised about this to the agent.

I am worried about this now because the telephone conversation have been recorded and he told me it is being recorded. Am I going to be in some sort of Legal problem here? (for e.g. if the agency looses the client because of this then they might take legal action -- Long shot may be)

Comment

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
        I am worried about this now because the telephone conversation have been recorded and he told me it is being recorded. Am I going to be in some sort of Legal problem here? (for e.g. if the agency looses the client because of this then they might take legal action -- Long shot may be)
        If you ask me the agent is just trying to scare you. It would cost them far too much time and money for absolutely no reward.

UBP

Comment

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
          The agent called this evening and wasnt happy with me contacting the client. I tried to tell him that I didn't knew it would have any implications (which I really didn't knew anyway).

He did mentioned that the telephone conversation in which he gave me feedback few days ago was recorded and he sent it to the client that the agency has given me the feedback (which I never denied.) He told me that I told the client that the agency didn't gave me any feedback (which is a LIE).

Anyway during the conversation I told the agent that I was not aware of the fact that it will be such a big deal. and it was purely for getting some technical feedback rather then "they found someone better". I also apologised about this to the agent.

It is illegal to record a call for commercial reasons (including any B2B or B2C calls) without first informing the caller that the call may or will be recorded. (Reg 3.2.c of this)

You can be a real nuisance with this as he's clearly bluffing but he's also admitted breaking the law. If you were really feeling difficult, you could extract a statement from them that they didn't record the call or even report them to the Information Commissioner.

I really don't see the point in agents lying but some just make a habit of it. If he'd just dropped it then you could both have shrugged and moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
            I really don't see the point in agents lying but some just make a habit of it. If he'd just dropped it then you could both have shrugged and moved on.
            Heaven forbid a contractor should ever lie
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Heaven forbid a contractor should ever lie
              I agree... I don't see the point though, you've a chance of getting caught and then you look like a right knob.

Comment

F&@k him, and chill out. Agents are 10 a penny.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X