• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Contractor

Hi,

Looking for help or advice as the title would have already suggested...

Considering getting into contracting after 7 years working for a global IT corporation, but I have a few reservations that I was hoping some people on here could advise upon.

The main worry I have would be accepting a contract and after the first few days realising, "woah, I don't have the right knowledge or skill set to do this work - eekk!" or the employer expecting me to be a guru in everything IT related. Having worked with a small and fairly close knit team over the years and helping others on the team and vice versa, I was just wondering is this typically the case when joining a team of contractors? I'm guessing each and every contract will be different, but generally is there a mentality of knowledge protection in the contracting world?

For example, I've had mixed reports where people have mentioned, contractors tend to stick together and stay in contact, in order to help each other out, i.e. when looking for a new contract elsewhere. While others have said you can find yourself in a contract job and if you're unsure how to tackle a problem, you may well be presented by a wall of silence from other contractors on the team.

Apologies in advance if my question seems a little vague, and any advice would be grateful.

Thanks
    Cica

Originally posted by cica View Post
    The main worry I have would be accepting a contract and after the first few days realising, "woah, I don't have the right knowledge or skill set to do this work - eekk!" or the employer expecting me to be a guru in everything IT related. Having worked with a small and fairly close knit team over the years and helping others on the team and vice versa, I was just wondering is this typically the case when joining a team of contractors? I'm guessing each and every contract will be different, but generally is there a mentality of knowledge protection in the contracting world?

For example, I've had mixed reports where people have mentioned, contractors tend to stick together and stay in contact, in order to help each other out, i.e. when looking for a new contract elsewhere. While others have said you can find yourself in a contract job and if you're unsure how to tackle a problem, you may well be presented by a wall of silence from other contractors on the team.
    It's not vague, it is a very good question and am surprised not to have seen this asked often. I think this everytime I hit the bench. A couple of days in to the next gig and I wonder what all the fuss was about.

I think the difference lies in the client you go to work for. If it is a fairly large one you are fine. Being lost for a few months is expected on large projects. It is unlikely you will get a PC for a week so the clients aren't much better prepared. I have only ever done blue chips so can't speak for small outfits where you are the only one. Something I try and avoid. Also if you are supposed to be a highly skilled techie then not knowing what you do could be a problem. In PM or any other management type thing you just blag and pick it up quick. Quite often the hierarchy will be huge and convolute so as long you can give confident feedback they will accept it.

Regarding not having the right skill.... To get a contract you often have to demonstrate you have done the role for many other clients or a long period of time so you can hit the ground running. People with little experience or jack of all trades do not get a look in. As long has you haven't lied through the back of your teeth the only way you will get the gig is by demonstrating you can do the role blindfolded. That means you will have the skills so don't worry.
    The other option is being bloody good at blagging to get a gig but if you can do that you can blag the gig as well so again don't worry.

If you get the gig against many 100's of other applicants then you are the man/woman so just dig in and get on with it. You will be expected to ask a lot of questions, you have to to get up to speed. You will shake a lot of hands and get gazumped with information. As long as you are capable in the first place you will be ok.

Might be worth mentioned your field of expertise for better feedback. I don't do codings or techy so could be different.

The quick answer is stop worrying and jump in you will be fine. It's healthy to think that.

Make sure you read the guides to the right about all the other aspects of contracting that you need to consider as well, accountants, IR35, LTD co's and the like.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 November 2011, 16:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's not vague, it is a very good question and am surprised not to have seen this asked often. I think this everytime I hit the bench. A couple of days in to the next gig and I wonder what all the fuss was about.

I think the difference lies in the client you go to work for. If it is a fairly large one you are fine. Being lost for a few months is expected on large projects. It is unlikely you will get a PC for a week so the clients aren't much better prepared. I have only ever done blue chips so can't speak for small outfits where you are the only one. Something I try and avoid. Also if you are supposed to be a highly skilled techie then not knowing what you do could be a problem. In PM or any other management type thing you just blag and pick it up quick. Quite often the hierarchy will be huge and convolute so as long you can give confident feedback they will accept it.

Regarding not having the right skill.... To get a contract you often have to demonstrate you have done the role for many other clients or a long period of time so you can hit the ground running. People with little experience or jack of all trades do not get a look in. As long has you haven't lied through the back of your teeth the only way you will get the gig is by demonstrating you can do the role blindfolded. That means you will have the skills so don't worry.
      The other option is being bloody good at blagging to get a gig but if you can do that you can blag the gig as well so again don't worry.

If you get the gig against many 100's of other applicants then you are the man/woman so just dig in and get on with it. You will be expected to ask a lot of questions, you have to to get up to speed. You will shake a lot of hands and get gazumped with information. As long as you are capable in the first place you will be ok.

Might be worth mentioned your field of expertise for better feedback. I don't do codings or techy so could be different.

The quick answer is stop worrying and jump in you will be fine. It's healthy to think that.

Make sure you read the guides to the right about all the other aspects of contracting that you need to consider as well, accountants, IR35, LTD co's and the like.
      You're in a good mood today, dearie. Does that mean you'll be downstairs for your tea in a minute?

Comment

It's a newbie in General. Stand back. Form an orderly queue.

Now who's going to be first?

Oh bugger.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well done lads, you're restraint was impressive.

I'm proud of you all!
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Well done lads, you're restraint was impressive.

I'm proud of you all!

What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

No, we speak English in here... Wanna try again?
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                You're in a good mood today, dearie. Does that mean you'll be downstairs for your tea in a minute?
                It's the second nice post I've read from him in under three minutes. I've no idea what's got into him? I'm guessing one of: Euromillions win; A new lady; A new hugely-paying contract; He's very drunk.

Whatever, bring back the old fella, he was far more fun with the Newbies.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  It's the second nice post I've read from him in under three minutes. I've no idea what's got into him? I'm guessing one of: Euromillions win; A new lady; A new hugely-paying contract; He's very drunk.

Whatever, bring back the old fella, he was far more fun with the Newbies.
                  I hope you are not inferring this is my sockie??? I have don't have time to run MF sockie AND this one.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I hope you are not inferring this is my sockie??? I have don't have time to run MF sockie AND this one.
                    I don't think he was suggesting you are operating a sockie. I'm sure he was as shocked as I was thet you were being nice to a newbie in General (which is where this thread started)

To the OP - don't stress about not being able to do the job. Sometimes you do land in situations that are not your cup of tea but you just get on with it the best way you can.
                    I haven't suffered too much with clients who expect you to be the font of all knowledge (luckily, in my case) but you mustn't expect them to be telling you what to do all the time either. In my experience part of what they are paying for is pro-activeness and self-organisation.
                    I haven't found that the contractors I've worked with have been unhelpful or protecting their own positions - they haven't needed to (there was one notable exception). They've been helpful and keen to collaborate, and they get that back from me.

I do agree with NLUK about doubting yourself when on the bench though .
                    I've contracted in both very small and very large organisations. I haven't noticed any real trends in how they treat/relate to you.

Best of luck!
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X