• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Registration

Hi All,

Just been told by my agency that the client requires me to be VAT registered. I've never had this before, income over last couple of years has been below the threshold and I expect it to be next year.

Anyone know why the client would need this?

Cheers

Originally posted by GlasgowBob View Post
    Just been told by my agency that the client requires me to be VAT registered. I've never had this before, income over last couple of years has been below the threshold and I expect it to be next year.

Bizarre. The client pay the bill to the agency, not to you/your ltd co.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Hi All,

Cheers
      Not sure why the agency are telling you this, are you sue they are insisting on it?

Have a look at flat rate vat, this will save you money anyway, think of it as free money.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        Bizarre. The client pay the bill to the agency, not to you/your ltd co.
        I know. The agent just didn't seem to understand, they were just adamant that they needed a registration number.

Lets say it was the agency that needed me to be registered and they just said that it was the client. Not like agencies I know, but if they did, is there any reason for it?

Comment

It should be only you who decides whether you're VAT registered or not, and I doubt anyone (other than HMRC) could demand that you are registered. You've already done your homework on the threshold, so you should be fine to continue.

I can't even start to imagine why the Client Co should care about this.

Does your contract say anything about VAT in your daily/hourly rate?

Comment

Lets say it was the agency that needed me to be registered and they just said that it was the client. Not like agencies I know, but if they did, is there any reason for it?
            I suspect they're just thick or don't understand VAT.

The only reason I can think of is to chop down your rate by convincing you the rate already includes VAT. They could claim it back from HMRC, and you'd have to pay it to HMRC, so you'd go short.
            This shouldn't happen though as rates in contracts usually exclude VAT, and your invoices wouldn't include the relevant VAT breakdown and VAT reg number.

Best check the wording of the rate in your contract.

Have they already been paying your invoices for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I suspect they're just thick or don't understand VAT.

The only reason I can think of is to chop down your rate by convincing you the rate already includes VAT. They could claim it back from HMRC, and you'd have to pay it to HMRC, so you'd go short.
              This shouldn't happen though as rates in contracts usually exclude VAT, and your invoices wouldn't include the relevant VAT breakdown and VAT reg number.

Best check the wording of the rate in your contract.

Have they already been paying your invoices for a while?
              I think that is the case. Someone asked in an email if I could get it sorted that afternoon

Not started yet but my contract is my rate plus vat so thats okay.

Thanks for the replies, its just as I thought but was wondering if I had missed a reason for them needing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                Not sure why the agency are telling you this, are you sue they are insisting on it?

Have a look at flat rate vat, this will save you money anyway, think of it as free money.
                Hi,

I though I had looked into the flat rate and there wasn't any benefit but just had another look and don't know if I'm getting it right.

If the flat rate is 14.5% does that mean I invoice clients 20% VAT and wouldn't pay VAT on goods\services I buy then at end of year pay 14.5% of complete turnover? Probably giving me an extra 5% on my net profit?

cheers

Comment

Hi,

I though I had looked into the flat rate and there wasn't any benefit but just had another look and don't know if I'm getting it right.

If the flat rate is 14.5% does that mean I invoice clients 20% VAT and wouldn't pay VAT on goods\services I buy then at end of year pay 14.5% of complete turnover? Probably giving me an extra 5% on my net profit?

cheers
                  Yep. Sounds mad but there is an underlying logic to it. Also you get 1% extra in your first year. The balance between VAT charged and VAT paid back is yours, but is liable for Corporation Tax, just like any other income.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Not quite right. If you are VAT registered but NOT on the FRS then you can claim back the VAT on things your company buys. If you ARE on the FRS then you can't claim back VAT on things your company buys but in return for this, you get to keep a cut of the VAT you charge to your customers.

Compared to not being VAT registered, registering for VAT and the FRS will bring a profit of 3.8% of your ex-VAT turnover in the first year and 2.6% in the years after that.

If the value of your companies purchases/expenses (ex VAT) amount to more than 10% of your (ex VAT) turnover then it's probably not worth signing up for the FRS. If your expenses are this high then you should get VAT registered so you can claim back the VAT.

If your company pays out less than 10% in expenses then you are probably better off using the FRS (it's simpler too).

Be aware that some expenses like train travel don't have any VAT.

I'm sure your accountant can sort it all out with a minimum amount of fuss, give them a shout.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X