• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restrictive clauses even before starting the job??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restrictive clauses even before starting the job??

Hi all,
    I wanted to pick the esteemed brains of the assembled masses to maybe help solve a problem I'm having at the moment.
    I've been working as a contractor on and off for nearly 10 years, flitting between contract and permie work depending on what was around at the time.
    Basically company X have been looking for a permie guy since April/May 2011. I believe 3 or 4 agencies had sent my cv to company X regarding the permie role, but it was never taken any further due to the salary on offer not meeting my requirements. Eventually they realised that they can't find someone with the skill set that they require, for the money they are paying, so have manage to raise an opening for a contractor to fill the skill gap.
    Now Agency Y (one of the previous 3 or 4, but not the 1st - if that matters) contacted me again, and because the rates are now better, I went along to interview, did ok, and wIas basically offered the job.
    Fine so far, now for the complicated bit... Company X apparently are meant to do all recruitment through agency Z, so much so that they even have a staff member on site at company X. Obviously they want their piece of the pie too, but it now transpires that agency Y and agency Z can't negotiate terms between themselves. ine I thought, agency Y, although placed me for interview, technically weren't able to actually place me in the position, i.e. they hadn't negotiated terms with agency Z prior, so I'll just make my apologies, jump ship, and run with agency Z. Not so... Agency Y are now insisting that they have a period of exclusivity over my CV, despite a) not being actually the 1st to send it across, and b) apparently not actually being in a position to place me (at least easily)

Hope that was clear enough... it still confuses me!

Does anyone have experience in such a mess, and what can be done to resolve it? Surely having such an exclusivity clause is a restrictive clause effectively on me, although I have signed nothing to agree to such with either agency. The only purpose such a thing serves for agency Y is 'to protect their business' but if they are unable to place me anyway, then what business is actually lost? It feels like the only losers are company X, and myself... How did recruitment agencies take over the world??

Seriously though, any help or suggestions will be gratefully received

This is all about "Right of Repesentation" which is a mechanism agents use to eliminate the competition...I've applied for the same role with different agencies and as the job descriptions are different had my CV forwarded to the client by different agencies for the same job.....

My understanding is that previous "representations" were for a permanent role?
    This is a different role (contract) so prior agreements are not valid and if the agency has an issue it's between them and the company. If the company cocked up it's not your problem...

HTH
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by slaine View Post
      it now transpires that agency Y and agency Z can't negotiate terms between themselves. ine I thought, agency Y, although placed me for interview, technically weren't able to actually place me in the position
      It's a real pain when this happens. Go and talk to the client and see if they can bang the agencies heads together and come up with a deal. It's pretty much out of your hands really.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Just as an update...
        Due to the pissing about of the agencies involved, someone else has now been offered the contract, and to be honest I can't blame the actual company, I exchanged several messages with them directly, and they were just as frustrated as I.

I'm sure I'm not the first to suffer in this way, but I feel reluctant to just let it go, and put it down to experience. It's probably not wise to directly mention the agency involved, but I would like to give a friendly warning to other fellow contractors dealing with this shower of the proverbial brown stuff, to give them a wide berth, if not avoid them completely. As a cryptic clue, if they were involved in pc's, it wouldn't be the past...
        There are good agencies out there... I've worked with a few, but chancers like these spoil the agent's reputation for everyone.

Merry Christmas everyone

Comment

Just as an update...
          Due to the pissing about of the agencies involved, someone else has now been offered the contract, and to be honest I can't blame the actual company, I exchanged several messages with them directly, and they were just as frustrated as I.

I'm sure I'm not the first to suffer in this way, but I feel reluctant to just let it go, and put it down to experience. It's probably not wise to directly mention the agency involved, but I would like to give a friendly warning to other fellow contractors dealing with this shower of the proverbial brown stuff, to give them a wide berth, if not avoid them completely. As a cryptic clue, if they were involved in pc's, it wouldn't be the past...
          There are good agencies out there... I've worked with a few, but chancers like these spoil the agent's reputation for everyone.

Merry Christmas everyone
          PMFJI late, but why didn't you and everybody else just tell Agency Y to take a hike? Nobody owed them anything: not you, not Agency Z, not the client. Even if you buy their story of having an implicit right of representation, that goes out the window if they are simply not able to represent you.

You don't need to negotiate about this "right" that they invented, you just tell them thanks for trying but you have failed, it is time for us both to move on.

Like, you go to Asda for your Christmas turkey but they don't have any. So you go to Tesco instead. Then Asda say that you can't because they have a period of exclusivity over your turkey-buying, even though they aren't able to sell you one. Who are the turkeys here?
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Just as an update...

Merry Christmas everyone
            Unlucky.

Yes it's happened to most of us at some point, but it will only happen once. I had two agencies fight over a role they had both sent me in for at different times, eventually they fought so much somebody else got placed. Just be extremely explicit with them next time.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Unlucky.

Just be extremely expletive with them next time.
              FTFY
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Just as an update...

Merry Christmas everyone
                Yes, sadly this does tend to happen when more than one agency is involved.

I was at one client for over two years with agent a. Then, client went with a sole supplier agreement with agent b. Agent a continued for me but contracted me to agent b (no loss of rate to me so wasnt that arsed as long as I got paided).

Agent b then started getting arsey and wanted me to provide 5 year references for the end client! Agent a asked me for the refs and I told them they were having a laugh as Id been on site for 2 years and had had a previous stint 4 years ago.

Agent said b was having none of it and indicated they'd terminate the contract as they has an SLA with the client.

So I had a word with the contract manager who promptly went berserk with agent a over the request. He tore them a new one saying existing on site contractors should be a seamless transfer between agents and, if they tried to terminate any contracts or caused any contractors to walk, their sole supplier agreement would be torn up!

Didnt hear another word out of agent b!

The best thing to do when dealing with any agent and especially where more than one is involved is to make sure any agent only has exclusivity to represent you for roles for a max24 hours.

If Im speaking to an agent's drone and the decision to submit me is with an account manager, I give them up to 12 hours maximum exclusivity.

If Im speaking to an account manager who says they will submit me, I give them a max 48 hours for them to confirm by e mail they have submitted me and feedback over potential interview.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

OP that wall of text made my eyes bleed lol.

A good idea is that once you have ascertained that an agent actually has info about a suitable role, you need to ascertain whether they are a first tier supplier to the client.

If they are not the risk is exponentially worse the further away from the client you are in the food chain. Equally important is the rate will diminish in the same manner.

If you are in business this translates to more risk/less reward. This really is not the direction you need to be going in.

First question to the agent should be "are you a first tier supplier for this role". It's then a business decision as to whether you proceed but at least you have an idea of the risk involved.

Where an agent insists that I confirm by email that they have the right of representation, I always amend what they send me to say that they only have the right where that right is granted to them by the client.

Comment

As PCs are Computers and if it is not in the past it is in the present or future.

Ah, I've got it - Computer Presents.

I'll avoid them in the future as I've avoided Computer Futures in the past.

Comment

Working...
                    X