• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Over qualified? Oh dear!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over qualified? Oh dear!

OK, I went for a gig this week. Interview went really very well, and they provided feedback at end of interview and confirmed I had been the perfect candidate; answered all of their questions as they wanted, they were really impressed with me. Brilliant, I thought.

But, I was then told, I'm over-qualified for the role. Am now nonplussed. Was asked "if a more senior position was available (wink wink) would you be interested in it?" - "of course" I replied, "and would the rates be different (higher) for this more senior role?" I asked - "yes they would" - brilliant I'm thinking.

Problem is this more senior role is not yet funded or signed off, whereas the original role is.

So looks like I'm not getting the original role owing to being overqualified, and need to wait now for them to seek to achieve sign off for this other role which is currently in the ether. There's a chance of course that it doesn't materialise at all.

If the 'ether-based' role doesn't materialise, I would take the original role (it's the one which I applied for in the first instance anyway) but it seems unlikely that I'll be considered further for it, or even be offered a chance - despite being able to do a "great job" for the org concerned, as they advised at my meeting. If I could do a 'great job' then why not effing well give me the job?

On the overqualified bit, these people have had my full CV for weeks, and should have been able to work out the level where I have operated and gained an appreciation of what I can do - afterall it's all there in the CV and it's this information which resulted in the invite for interview.

If they did understand the above, then why invite me for interview in the first instance? Ironically, they have rejected several others who were not skilled enough, and then I turn up and get the 'overqualified' treatment!

So, not sure what to make of it, and yes, I know I will have to 'put it down to experience and move on', and I might, at some suitable juncture, need to 'reassess if I'm cut out for contracting'

Just wondered if this type of thing had happened to others & how they dealt with it?
    Clarity is everything

It's normally a 'permie' thing. I would have thought for contracting being over qualified would be fine, but it does depend if you gave the impression you weren't that fussed about the role.

Frankly always go for what is in front of you. Never give anyone an out.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No, I wanted the role and there was nothing I said/did which could have been interpreted to indicate that I didn't want it. Plus I travelled a considerable distance for the interview, which they were fully aware of, & which would support my claim re; high level of interest.

I didn't provide them with an 'out' to my mind at any point.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
        But, I was then told, I'm over-qualified for the role.
        At least you got as far as the interview...

I applied for a role for an Oracle Developer a few years back, having just finished a similar gig for another client. Agent phones me up to ask how much Oracle experience I had, so I told him I had 15 years (which was true.) He refused to put me forward for the role saying I was "over-qualified and would get bored and then leave." End of story.

Great game, this contracting lark, isn't it.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Always be very careful with questions like that. When they start talking to you about more senior roles, always point out forcefully that all though you´d be prepared to do it and you´d be fantastic at it, that you are still happy doing boring menial work. This is a perfectly acceptable answer. Unfortunately they´ve now got you pigeon holed for a senior role, and there are far less senior roles around than "coding" roles.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Over qualified

An agent used this 'over qualified' number on me yesterday when in the process of putting me forward for a potential role in order to attempt to reduce my rate.

Maybe its a theme for the new year...
            Last edited by Regent; 7 January 2012, 10:21.

Comment

Just to clarify, this occurred in the meeting/interview on-site with the end client, not with a recruiter...
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                Just to clarify, this occurred in the meeting/interview on-site with the end client, not with a recruiter...
                I understand. I posted on this thread as the 'over qualified' statement hit a raw nerve.

Generally speaking, these issues are normally addressed by the agency unless you are dealing directly with the client company i.e. you clarify the exact requirements of the contract before attending the interview with the client company with the agency.

If you are dealing directly with the client company, its a different ball game and a more robust approach is required i.e. no agency has sold you - that's your job. If you have 'over sold' yourself then you need to address the issue.

Either way, as another poster mentioned at least you got the interview. Better luck next time.

HTH

Comment

Am not really understanding why people think this is an issue and don't expect it? Being over qualified means you can (generally) command a better rate. There is a high risk you will find the work boring, beneath you and also find better work/rate else where. It is a very real and understandable risk to a client and is the same risk to permies as well as contractors.

We all know people jump ship for rate at the drop of a hat in a role they are qualified for so it is a given it will happen to someone over qualified.

MF hits the nail on the head and I am pretty surpised contractors don't get this. You prove you are the best man for that role and no more. It is as simple as that. If it is beneath you dumb your CV down and do the same in the interview. Being better than the role is not a benefit to the client.

If I want someone to cut my grass ever week I want someone that is can cut grass well and is happy to do so, I do not want someone that is an award winning landscape gardener cause he won't be there long.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    If I want someone to cut my grass every week I want someone that is can cut grass well...
                    Every contractor should learn to cut their own grass. And roll their own from it too.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X