• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whattheheck View Post
    I am sorry to report that the same happened to me with Badenoch & Clark Agency. I was posted to their Client without a Contract too, without even realising it.

As it happens, the Contract came to an end because in the meantime NASA Umbrella did not pay me the previous week for another contract, a project that was completed. A problem with timesheet submission, I asked for an advance - at least to get fuel! - which NASA Umbrella declined to do. So as I was out of funds I had to tell Badenoch & Clark that I could not continue until I got paid.

Badenoch and Clark say their Client pulled the plug. I believe that, clients routinely treat IT contractors like nothing better than cannon fodder. But I became aware at that point that the new Contract with Badenoch & Clark had not been issued, having had already worked a full week at their Client. It was only yesterday that NASA sent me the Contract as issued by Badenoch & Clark. So it also became clear that NASA did not even know that contract was now dead.

What a joke! It is ILLEGAL to work without a contract right?... I mean... Are we in Britain or some rogue State Bananas Republic elsewhere in a strange corner of this World?

So the question is: Where to report something like this? It will go on unless something gets done about it.

For now though, I would suggest avoid Badenoch & Clark and avoid NASA Umbrella too, for good measure.

I have been with NASA Umbrella for about 2 years. They will be fired as soon as I get paid! No more fees for them. They left me high and dry and I lost the new role as a result of not being able to afford fuel to travel. Enough is enough!
    No offence but "reporting" it? Are you serious?

Just don't turn up on site without a contract in place. Tell client get it sorted or find some other mug. Job done. No more issues.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Sorry, but that's your own problem. Get a credit card if you have to in order to get expenses on.
      Sorry but that is bluntly stupid. It's not my job to get a credit card and pay interest on it, just to help agencies and umbrellas that did not pay a timesheet on time for whatever reason. I am not around to sustain them. I expect them to pay on time and contractor support has a meaning and should have a meaning.

So, no it is not my problem! This is an agencies' and umbrellas' problem.

There are too many delayed payments to IT contractors, because the IT Contracting sector is increasingly subject to new cowboys turning up, to exploit contractors without any interest in their well-being.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        No offence but "reporting" it? Are you serious?

Just don't turn up on site without a contract in place. Tell client get it sorted or find some other mug. Job done. No more issues.
        I disagree. They get away with this because they are not being reported. That's wrong! If enough contractors start to report agencies for wrong-doing, there is a better chance to keep agencies reined-in, instead of the present mess seen up and down the Country.

I suppose that with attitudes like yours, the IT contract industry will never improve, right?

Comment

Originally posted by whattheheck View Post
          I am sorry to report that the same happened to me with Badenoch & Clark Agency. I was posted to their Client without a Contract too, without even realising it.
          That's just beyond ridiculous. How on earth can you get posted to a client without realising you had a contract? Getting the contract sorted before you start is your responsibility. The clue is in our title, CONTRACTor. You don't go on site until you have one. It's pretty common for agents to drag their heels but deal with it properly and it appears very quickly.

This one is your fault and I am guessing it's going to get worse for the same reason..so reading onwards
          As it happens, the Contract came to an end because in the meantime NASA Umbrella did not pay me the previous week for another contract, a project that was completed. A problem with timesheet submission, I asked for an advance - at least to get fuel! - which NASA Umbrella declined to do. So as I was out of funds I had to tell Badenoch & Clark that I could not continue until I got paid.
          You don't have any funds at all? No warchest? What on earth were you going to do if you couldn't get another contract? Live of fresh air? Late payment is a common theme in small business and contracting. If you can't live for a week without income you shouldn't be contracting. Asking for an advance? That's so naive. No business gives money as an advance. Of course the declined to do so. I hope you didn't say it was so you could get some fuel? They would have had a right laugh at that one.

So you couldn't carry on on a contract bringing in potentially 100s of K because of some fuel??

Badenoch and Clark say their Client pulled the plug. I believe that, clients routinely treat IT contractors like nothing better than cannon fodder. But I became aware at that point that the new Contract with Badenoch & Clark had not been issued, having had already worked a full week at their Client. It was only yesterday that NASA sent me the Contract as issued by Badenoch & Clark. So it also became clear that NASA did not even know that contract was now dead.
          Not uncommon when you are using brollies. We get treated like flexible resources. Sometimes we get the crappy end of the stick but we get paid handsomely for this kind of risk.

What a joke! It is ILLEGAL to work without a contract right?... I mean... Are we in Britain or some rogue State Bananas Republic elsewhere in a strange corner of this World?
          No it's not. You can work without one. It becomes an implied contract. Messy but it can be done. You don't right up a contract with your builder or most workmen do you? If it was illegal it was pretty stupid of you to turn up.
          So the question is: Where to report something like this? It will go on unless something gets done about it.
          Report what? Crap contractors? You don't need to. We just sit back and watch them post their sorry woes on here.

For now though, I would suggest avoid Badenoch & Clark and avoid NASA Umbrella too, for good measure.

I have been with NASA Umbrella for about 2 years. They will be fired as soon as I get paid! No more fees for them. They left me high and dry and I lost the new role as a result of not being able to afford fuel to travel. Enough is enough!
          Left you high and dry? They had a payment issue for one week because of some timesheet process which happens pretty regularly in contracting?

This contracting lark just isn't for you is it?
          Last edited by northernladuk; 10 August 2018, 15:49.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I have to say I did a stint with Lorein and also found them to be fine. Carbon copy timesheets a bit odd but no other problems. The recruiters I dealt with were young (compared to me) lads n lasses so didn't get the impression they were professional enough to think about using me again or getting me more gigs. More like cold callers on commission. They did what was needed and no more. Can't really complain about that though.
            Agree 100% I did a contract with them and was not happy as they were not even aware of my end date with the client. So when I called up saying I finish this week they sere surprised and I did ask if there were an other roles available but had no reply . Saying that I worked over 18 years in IT and have never used the same agency twice for jobs , or have been given another job via same agency,

Comment

Originally posted by abu1 View Post
              Agree 100% I did a contract with them and was not happy as they were not even aware of my end date with the client. So when I called up saying I finish this week they sere surprised and I did ask if there were an other roles available but had no reply . Saying that I worked over 18 years in IT and have never used the same agency twice for jobs , or have been given another job via same agency,
              Erm, you are quoting a 6 year old post, saying you 100% agree and then saying the opposite?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Erm, you are quoting a 6 year old post, saying you 100% agree and then saying the opposite?
                Agree that they didn't look for new job but said the market is like this

Comment

Agree that they didn't look for new job but said the market is like this
                  Perhaps there's a reason the same agency hasn't touched you twice?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Perhaps there's a reason the same agency hasn't touched you twice?
                    Yes most agencies get you a job then move onto next person its a cut throat industry so I understand their method of working. its commission based industry.

Comment

Yes most agencies get you a job then move onto next person its a cut throat industry so I understand their method of working. its commission based industry.
                      Funny because many on here have agents who call us up as soon as a particular role is available because they know us. Done properly it's a relationship industry rather than a sales industry.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X