• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of .Net Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The annoying thing is that you get an offer like the one I have but there are several levels of management approval that have to be given. 5 days now I've been waiting for the manager at the top of the pyramid to authorise it and it's driving me crazy. I'll know this week for sure apparently. However I may not actually be around to take it as something closer to home, but equally lucrative, has popped up and it's very promising. He who laughs last eh? (alternatively I could end up with **** all!)

Comment

Originally posted by qska View Post
      It's only immediately this week, and I started looking at 1st Feb - hence many dead ends (we want someone to start next week etc.)

5+ years .Net experience, 12 years total web dev experience, not willing to go to London

Anyway, a nice 6-monther starts on Monday
      The 6 monther turned out to be at a company which had ZERO good devs, coding standards completely appaling, and all code in VB.Net - although they were up for mixing C# and VB.Net code. Which would make things worse

I bailed after a few days, but the market is reeeeeallly quiet. However - there are a few 1 month opportunities around, and some London interviews this week.

Comment

The 6 monther turned out to be at a company which had ZERO good devs, coding standards completely appaling, and all code in VB.Net - although they were up for mixing C# and VB.Net code. Which would make things worse

I bailed after a few days, but the market is reeeeeallly quiet. However - there are a few 1 month opportunities around, and some London interviews this week.
        The clue there was vb.net . Its a simple rule vb.net == clueless.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The clue there was vb.net . Its a simple rule vb.net == clueless.
          How does that follow? A bad programmer will reveal himself no matter what language they mash code in.

I would have seen that as a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            How does that follow? A bad programmer will reveal himself no matter what language they mash code in.

I would have seen that as a challenge.
            True, it was my first BAD VB.Net code I saw (no design patterns, or "tiers" at all!)

The alternative was to improve their business processes and working practices, all the while delivering new functionality on a crap codebase, against tight deadlines.

If the rate was 1.5x what it was I'd have a think.... Otherwise bench time

Most available offers recently are somewhat blighted by "weird" requirements, short terms, low rates, locations more than 1hr drive, or very slow process of getting a person actually on board.

People I forgot about (applied for the contract 4-5 weeks ago) just called me up and asked for a date for a telephone interview. It's only 90 minutes drive from home, however for a very respectable outfit :-/

Even London doesn't seem to be "biting" my CV this time round, and if it does - clients are outside Zone 1 (too far, as I commute from Oxfordshire).

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              vb.net means that the code is being developed by former vb6 developers who didn't want to learn. Everytime I see vb.net code I see a program structure which was valid in 1998 but could have been written far, far better if someone had paid attention to the ideas that have appeared over the past 15 years.

Although I do get concerned when I hear the phrase enterprise service buses and look at what they actually need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                vb.net means that the code is being developed by former vb6 developers who didn't want to learn. Everytime I see vb.net code I see a program structure which was valid in 1998 but could have been written far, far better if someone had paid attention to the ideas that have appeared over the past 15 years.

Although I do get concerned when I hear the phrase enterprise service buses and look at what they actually need to do.

C# and java are both a lot cleaner than vb or vb.net but that doesn't mean applications can't be developed well in vb.net. I can switch between the two quite comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  C# and java are both a lot cleaner than vb or vb.net but that doesn't mean applications can't be developed well in vb.net. I can switch between the two quite comfortably.
                  I didn't say that vb.net is the problem just that senior and lead vb.net developers often have bad habits from years ago and unwillingness to listen to newer best practice.

Comment

Yep I'd agree with that.
                    VB.NET code generally looks like this:
                    Too long methods
                    Too big classes
                    Poor OO concepts
                    Too great a reliance on CONSTANTS
                    Too many parameters in method signatures
                    In a nutshell : not SOLID code.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                      Yep I'd agree with that.
                      VB.NET code generally looks like this:
                      Too long methods
                      Too big classes
                      Poor OO concepts
                      Too great a reliance on CONSTANTS
                      Too many parameters in method signatures
                      In a nutshell : not SOLID code.
                      I see all this in c# too. There are a lot of people out there who just don't give a damn about doing a good job, or assume that their style is good enough. Sometimes it's under the guise of agile's "simplest thing that could possibly work" which is fine if it is followed up with some refactoring when the simple things starts causing headaches.

I work mainly in finance though perhaps it's better elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X