• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    I think im offered perm as I refuse to work at the same site for more than 23 months. They want to retain me, after 6 renewals or whatever. If you always
    Please tell me I didn't just read this

Just to humour me can you explain why you do this?
    I still think in court, having a letter sent to your client and him saying he managed you, is wrong. He's a site contact or client. As I said perhaps im just jaded.
    The term manage is generic. If I get a plumber in I can manage him to make sure he doesn't break stuff or make a mess, as a Service Delivery Manager I manage my providors. You need to look up the word manage. It means all sorts. The word you are trying to avoid is direct.

I'm still not sure of the value of paying people to check contracts tho, as its no real protection is it? I mean its hard enough explaining to clients that they are clients sometimes..
    You really need to back out of this discussion. You clearly do not have a clue and advice such as not getting your contract checks is really not required. We spend hours directing newbies to get their contract checked. To not do as you suggest is bordering on moronic.

Words just fail me.

sorry for any misinfo. Its only opinion not fact
    Nothing to do with opinion when it is clearly defined and tested by professionals.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Moronic is a bit harsh, from one freelancer to another, you can't be moronic and do our jobs. But ok I'll back out and quit derailing the thread.

I got 24 months from a guide i got from this very site, albeit many years ago now; as an indication of a place becoming a "permanent place of work" and thus invalidating expenses. Sure its probably silly to confuse the two, but I was advised a while ago to work this way, especially if I only have 1 client on the go for that time, which was the case.

I also remember just last year, reading about an IR35 case, that had a letter sent to his client with 100+ questions all trying to get him to say he managed the guy... I think this was even in the PCG news stuff.

- perhaps I am sorely misguided; I'm off to sniffle about being called a moron....
      Last edited by Scoobos; 15 March 2012, 17:08. Reason: typotastic

Comment

Moronic is a bit harsh, from one freelancer to another, you can't be moronic and do our jobs. But ok I'll back out and quit derailing the thread.
        To not have your contract checked I meant. Possibly harsh as well I admit but wasn't aimed at you

I got 24 months from a guide i got from this very site, albeit many years ago now; as an indication of a place becoming a "permanent place of work" and thus invalidating expenses. Sure its probably silly to confuse the two, but I was advised a while ago to work this way, especially if I only have 1 client on the go for that time, which was the case.
        Jeez, who gave you that advice? But this is a perfect example of where you need to understand every word and the principle of the rule so you can weight up the advantages and disadvantages. The 24 month rule is indeed for claiming expenses and subsidence but is it really such a massive issue you would drop a contract for? I can only presume you work well away from home and do not commute? It makes no other difference to your contract or status whatsoever. Interestingly enough the 24 month rule is another horrible grey thing as it was designed for permies not contractors so is no indication on what you do or how you do it.

When you say you leave after 23 months? Do you hand your notice in at 23 months or only allow them to offer you a contract that ends at 23 months exactly?
        I also remember just last year, the Helix IR35 case had a letter sent to his client with 100+ questions all trying to get him to say he managed the guy...
        I am sure they do send a letter to try to get him to say it, but you send him one to disprove all 100+. Also to be seen to be coaching or directing the clients testimony is frowned upon? I haven't read Helix so might have a look at that. Again managing resources does not amount to client control.

- perhaps I am sorely misguided; I'm off to sniffle about being called a moron....
        Cleared that up in the first bit but you can have a hug if you want?

Comment

Ok thanks for clearing that up,

Helix is not the right company name .. I'll go through my emails at home and let you know by PM if you're interested in reading it. Maybe Mal knows who it is.

in answer to your questions : It "usually" runs like this for me - 3 month contract, with specific aim - my track record is righting disasters - so its usually a disaster or close to. I aim to get it done outright in 3 months.

I come in, for 3 months, anywhere in the uk (or world) at my companies expense, do a cracking job and then attempt to handover.

Client wants "just 1 more thing" or "can you have a look at this" - before I know it, I'm renewed, implementing multiple projects and have no one to handover to, so I'm in effect BAU for my previous projects.... Repeat until its 23 months and I say, thanks but no thanks - as my expenses are usually substantial and my work is almost 80% BAU, single site, 9-5 etc after this term. I'm also influenced by the fact that I'm not one for staying in 1 location, or at 1 customer - I get bored.

In my experience my team leads, site contacts or whatever do believe they are directly managing me. They are not - this is clear in the interview, contract etc - but in a reference or a letter they will start by inferring that they DIRECTLY managed me and my workload - purely innocently. Usually I'm the expert, so no one but me, and perhaps 1 fellow contractor will even know what I'm doing or how I get it done - non the less I was managed.

If you want to tear me a new one, send me a PM to continue , as I'm possibly embarrasing myself here...
          Last edited by Scoobos; 15 March 2012, 17:57.

Comment

There are many companies who make money off scaremongering and offering various IR35 guarantees and protection.
            Agree.

I think 75% of what you read as a newbie (talking only from my own personal experience) is just wrong.
            Disagree.

If you're on site 9-5, have a manager to report to, and use their equipment, in most peoples eyes you are inside IR35, no matter what your contract says.
            Disagree.

The biggest problem in my view is that our end clients really dont understand contracting, and if questioned in court would answer in a way which would probably make the situation worse.
            Agree.

I've not had a single client, who's not tried to make me full time at the end.
            Agree.

and everytime I get a linked in recommendation from an ex client its "Managed **** at *****" .... not good.
            Disagree (simply don't ask for that type of recommendation.)

cross your fingers.
            Agree.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Helix is not the right company name .. I'll go through my emails at home and let you know by PM if you're interested in reading it. Maybe Mal knows who it is.

in answer to your questions : It "usually" runs like this for me - 3 month contract, with specific aim - my track record is righting disasters - so its usually a disaster or close to. I aim to get it done outright in 3 months.

I come in, for 3 months, anywhere in the uk (or world) at my companies expense, do a cracking job and then attempt to handover.

Client wants "just 1 more thing" or "can you have a look at this" - before I know it, I'm renewed, implementing multiple projects and have no one to handover to, so I'm in effect BAU for my previous projects.... Repeat until its 23 months and I say, thanks but no thanks - as my expenses are usually substantial and my work is almost 80% BAU, single site, 9-5 etc after this term. I'm also influenced by the fact that I'm not one for staying in 1 location, or at 1 customer - I get bored.
              I don't see a problem here up until you say "just 1 more thing". This is a major alarm bell. This is client direct and control which you must avoid at all costs. This is what they say to permies. Easily mitigated though by signing contract complete detailed set of deliverables and sticking to it. Can even be made to help your IR35 by having your old contract terminated early to start the next one. Either that or word your first one very well to show that the deliverable is to fix multiple defined problems. Just doing work the client asks you in the same contract is very bad.

The BAU thing is also a horrible situation to be in if not documented. I can't think how you can be a hidden permie any more than being left to own an on going piece of work with not termination date.

In my experience my team leads, site contacts or whatever do believe they are directly managing me. They are not - this is clear in the interview, contract etc - but in a reference or a letter they will start by inferring that they DIRECTLY managed me and my workload - purely innocently. Usually I'm the expert, so no one but me, and perhaps 1 fellow contractor will even know what I'm doing or how I get it done - non the less I was managed.
              Again I strongly believe being managed is not a problem. You can still be part of a team as a service providor and still be managed by the process and people within the scope of your deliverables. It is the control and direction you have to avoid.

Sounds very much like you need to be an IR35 expert to keep your arse out of a problem here, not be so flipant about it all...

On the 24th month rule you must stop claiming expenses as soon as you KNOW you are going to be there for 24 months, not up the last day before 24 months is up.

Nomadd agreed about getting asked to stay perm after. Chatting to some of my colleagues it appears to be pretty rare any of them get asked for perm so would be interested in what Nomadd's situation is when they ask.

Comment

I don't see a problem here up until you say "just 1 more thing". This is a major alarm bell. This is client direction and control which you must avoid at all costs. This is what they say to permies. Easily mitigated though by signing a new contract complete with a detailed set of deliverables and sticking to it. Can even be made to help your IR35 by having your old contract terminated early to start the next one. Either that or word your first one very well to show that the deliverable is to fix multiple defined problems. Just doing work the client asks you in the same contract is very bad.

The BAU thing is also a horrible situation to be in if not documented. I can't think how you can be a hidden permie any more than being left to own an on going piece of work with not termination date.

Again I strongly believe being managed is not a problem. You can still be part of a team as a service providor and still be managed by the process and people within the scope of your deliverables. It is the control and direction you have to avoid.

Sounds very much like you need to be an IR35 expert to keep your arse out of a problem here, not be so flipant about it all...

On the 24th month rule you must stop claiming expenses as soon as you KNOW you are going to be there for 24 months, not up the last day before 24 months is up.

Nomadd agreed about getting asked to stay perm after. Chatting to some of my colleagues it appears to be pretty rare any of them get asked for perm so would be interested in what Nomadd's situation is when they ask.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Utter bollox. An example of what I say in the paragraph above. I say utter bollox because it is so simplistic you cannot take that as anything.
                  Agreed. I'm working for a client installing an automated machine, it's big cost £25 million. I have to use their equipment as I the network is locked down (I also use my laptop for other work, use theirs for the stuff I have to).

I have to work from site (where else is this machine going to be) and I have to work in the hours of 7am-10pm as the site is operational from 10pm-7am.

Doesn't mean I'm inside IR35 though.

Comment

To clarify I wasn't saying we were inside ir35 but that the perception could be it as the courts and tbh, people I know, always compare me to a plumber andsay I don't use my own stuff.

When I say that the client says "just one more thing" its renewal, I know about the 24 month being if you know , but I never do.

Everytime I renew I stress its one last time but I always take the easy option when it comes to be benched. given that im benched now after doing a similar thing now,its not always the right choice

I know my.contracts are outside but am never confident that ir35 can't be made to apply in these situations.

im a boring windows infra guy on new technologies , btw.
                    Last edited by Scoobos; 15 March 2012, 23:36.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Current IB I'm working for has offered the permie thing on each renewal (three of, so far.) In 23 years of contracting, I'd say the perm option is offered at least 40%-50% of the time.

I just politely decline, as the money is never enough to match what I earn as a contractor. Never been an issue, really. If somebody did make me a stunning permie offer - and I'd worked with them a few years as a contractor to be sure of them - then maybe I'd consider it. But at the moment, with the skillset I have, permie just seems like financial suicide.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X