• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoring and IT market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    That was my last project!

Be careful with those darned requirements though and make sure that the Service offerings are much cookie cutter as you can make them.

And if any Dev PMs tell you that their environment is 'special, don't believe them...
    Fancy Hatfield and Bristol. I have zero interest in doing it I simply joked that it was the only escape route now they had outsourced their hardware.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Down the pub on Friday I was chatting to a mate who works elsewhere and I jokingly suggested that the next phase will be to move from outsourcing back to IAAS using amazon or someone else to provide the infrastructure.

Following a phone call this morning his IT Director wants to meet me to discuss my proposal.
      Well the answer to this is simple.

All dev works in there but NO production or live data...

Anyone that has the guts to argue, just point out that EC2 had an outage in Ireland that took both sides of the storage zone down and lost data
      Not quite up to full production yet.

Amazon's Cloud Crash Disaster Permanently Destroyed Many Customers' Data - Business Insider

I would consider looking into it as the DR solution though.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
        I feel very uneasy making living that way ... but I agree that there is plenty of dough to be made.

Can well believe that .... what timing have they planned and who is to blame ?
        SImple case of two large vendors both waiting for the other to fsck it up so that they would get to take the account. They seemed to forget their customer was in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          Well the answer to this is simple.

All dev works in there but NO production or live data...

Anyone that has the guts to argue, just point out that EC2 had an outage in Ireland that took both sides of the storage zone down and lost data
          Not quite up to full production yet.

Amazon's Cloud Crash Disaster Permanently Destroyed Many Customers' Data - Business Insider

I would consider looking into it as the DR solution though.
          Mistakes occur and are learnt from. If Amazon made the same mistake again it would be an issue until they do they probably won't.

also even Amazon tell you to backup your data elsewhere as nothing is perfect.

Comment

Mistakes occur and are learnt from. If Amazon made the same mistake again it would be an issue until they do they probably won't.

also even Amazon tell you to backup your data elsewhere as nothing is perfect.
            Yes but the tb's mount up fast and if you start to copy data cross zones and back up to a third party it starts to get comparable to a dedicated solution.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              Yes but the tb's mount up fast and if you start to copy data cross zones and back up to a third party it starts to get comparable to a dedicated solution.
              It may well do but if its a monthly fee rather than capital expenditure it comes out of a different budget pot.

Comment

Down the pub on Friday I was chatting to a mate who works elsewhere and I jokingly suggested that the next phase will be to move from outsourcing back to IAAS using amazon or someone else to provide the infrastructure.

Following a phone call this morning his IT Director wants to meet me to discuss my proposal.
                The way to go
                If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Working...
                X