• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to legally get out of an agency contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkmk View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of contracting and I'm now into my second 6 month IT contract and I'm extremely happy that I took the jump.

I've realised from talking to other contractors at the firm that many of them are contracted directly with the client and as such are better off then I am, as they don't have an agency taking a cut.

From anybody's experience is there a way for me to legally contract directly with the client and leave the agency?

Any pointers/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Yes, start acting professionally! I truely despise these types of posts. 'Oh Im new and I've found experienced contractors are getting more than me, what can I do to change this?' blah, blah, blah.

What you going to do when you find all the other contractors are on a higher rate than you? Kick off with the client (who you're now gone direct with) and say you want the same as the others? Seriously?

Welcome to the world of contracting. You're not a permie now. There's no collective bargaining.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by manfromtheagency View Post
      As an agent <cue boo, hiss, etc> I of course would not be at all happy if a contractor decided to try and drop us like a stone and go direct to the client.

I would, as always, direct you to your contract to see which terms you have signed up to with regards to "no return clauses" etc.

Also, be aware that using an agency is a commerical decision on behalf of many companies who do not want to take on the risk of dealing with staff / contractors directly hence them being happy to take on the extra cost involved of dealing with an agency.

the point about payment terms is also a good one, as an agency, we will have solid terms and conditions in place with our major clients to ensure prompt payment and also generally larger organisations have the cash flow to be able to take longer payment terms on the chin.

I agree with all others stating that it would de you no extra good to try and circumvent the existing arrangements for a few extra quid that could end up alienating you from your agency and quite possibly the client as well, who, if faced with a claim backed up by a contract from the agency may well roll over, leaving you very exposed.
      Of course you wouldn't be happy. But maybe it's time for you to give a better contribution to this world than just pimping people around? Times are changing, margins are being squeezed and employers forgo quality price getting cheap Indians to screw up their systems (in many cases).

Comment

It's a great attitude for contractors to have. Agree a commercial agreement and then spen time when you are supposed to be supplying the client professional services trying to cut side deals with them.

I'd imagine you are the sort of person who went into Jessops, had someone spend an hour show you all the cameras only to walk out of the shop and order it on Amazon for £10 cheaper. You probably even bemoan the death of the high street.

I have no problem with contractors doing their bargaining up front. Completely unprofessional to do it mid-contract.
        https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
            I have no problem with contractors doing their bargaining up front. Completely unprofessional to do it mid-contract.
            So, do you think it's OK for clients and/or agents to renegotiate terms mid contract then?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              So, do you think it's OK for clients and/or agents to renegotiate terms mid contract then?
              Oh but boy do we moan about it when they do though... so it cuts both ways.

Comment

No, I don't.
                https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

And thinking about it, bar all the messing about at the beginning we don't hear about agents change the goal posts mid contract... the vast majority of comments we get are contractors wanting to bail out with a smattering of clients walking them.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    And thinking about it, bar all the messing about at the beginning we don't hear about agents change the goal posts mid contract... the vast majority of comments we get are contractors wanting to bail out with a smattering of clients walking them.
                    Agents, no; clients, yes. Wait for the next round of banking cuts...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Do you think that if the client is paying an amount to the agent and you are getting say 80% of it then you will get all of it if you talk the client out of using the agency mid term?
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X