• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay weekly changed to pay monthly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Alas, it is a lot more likely than you would like it to be.

In fact, asking contractors to switch to monthly payment might be an early warning that it is coming
    Indeed, plus the fact some of the older heads here have seen more than enough posts about clients/agents witholding payment. It does happen, thankfully rarely and to be fair in some cases is initiated by the contractor stirring things up.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
      so what if they are - its a change to contract T&Cs, which you do not have to accept. They may terminate, but that's unlikely if you are on site with a happy client. This has no effect on the client, so they will not be supportive of you going due to a dispute with the agency. Tell them to poke it.
      WHS.

Also, ask them WHY they want to change the T&Cs. Ask them if they have a problem with their cashflow. Once they see you're suspicious, they'll shut up.

Then, check their credit rating online.
      Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
        WHS.

Also, ask them WHY they want to change the T&Cs. Ask them if they have a problem with their cashflow. Once they see you're suspicious, they'll shut up.

Then, check their credit rating online.
        Actually maybe check their credit rating first.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          My agent has asked whether I would be happy to switch from having my invoices being paid weekly to having them paid monthly.
          Tell them to piss off, you're running a business not a bloody charity.

Try turning it around the other way and ask them if they will advance you a month's fees up front. They will laugh in your face, so why the hell should you extend their credit?
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

There are a number of reasons

1) Weekly is better than monthly for cash flow purposes (even if you pay yourself monthly)
            2) You minimise the risk of losing money if the agency goes bust.
            3) You are able to spot the tell tale signs of an agency in trouble which cannot manage it's cash flow and of which case 2 may occur. You can get out early.
            4) You mitigate the risk of the agency withholding money / threatening not to pay you if you fall out with the client / agent or you are terminated or you wish to leave your contract early.
            5) You make an extra couple of pennies on interest.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              When I started sword fighting I even asked the one about who would win between a knight and a samurai.
              And the answer is ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                And the answer is ?

Boo
                Opinion was divided. Read the whole thread.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  And the answer is ?

Boo
                  It is an awkward question as knights and samurais changed through time but if you take the standard hollywood knight (15c European) and standard samurai (17c) and have them in a fair fight in open terrain with two equally skilled and healthy fighters then ...

The 15c European knight. He has the advantage that his weapons will damage the samurai through his armour whereas samurai weapons are generally unable to penetrate plate (no - the ruddy katana could not cut through plate, it was a sharp single edged sword but there were equally sharp blades in Europe, it was nothing special from a physics point of view).

However, this does not really prove that much as samurai evolved to defeat the enemies they faced and they did not face anyone in plate whereas the knight did. The reason for this was mainly the arms race in Europe, complete with large amounts of resources, helped prevent platues in terms of equipment and tactics. Japan was a closed society and did not have the same stimulus.

Also, as it happens - the thing about arrows puncturing through plate armour is also a bit of a myth. The knights who had arrows rain on them at Agincourt mainly got through the arrow storm alive and well enought to almost break the English line before the archers were ordered to pick up hand weapons and get stuck in.

PS:
                  ARGHHHGHGHGH Bloody Hollywood and their bloody films - although it is not as bad as sodding Braveheart making people in Bannockburn think that every Scots man wore a kilt and wode and telling us how wrong we were - double ARGH!!!!!.

Do not get me wrong, I love films and do not care whether they are accurate or not - but it is frustrating when they claim to be accurate when they are absolutely fantasy. It literally cost us money when we lost bookings in Scotland because people did not want to be told Braveheart was not real.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    Opinion was divided. Read the whole thread.
                    I swear I will armour up and belly flop on you as you sleep on Christmas Eve!!!!!

Comment

Agent has got in contact again and asked whether it would be an issue for me to go monthly. I said yes, a huge one.

This might sound like another stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway:

If I move to pay monthly, that puts my company at about 4 times the credit risk, this is not in the best interest of my company. Therefore would I even, legally, be allowed to do it as I have to act in the best interests of the company?

Comment

Working...
                      X