• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unsigned timesheets, getting payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were working at the client site you can bill for it.

I think if you press on this one the client will sign. Maybe there will be a quibble over a couple of hours.

But no question, the client can't refuse to pay. You need to chase the agency, you can't do anything with the client other than to explain you will be taking legal action against the agency. Of course that is unlikely to impress them.

Unfortunately although your gripe is with the client and not with the agency you have to take action against the agency.

When it comes to legal action it would be very difficult for the agency to produce proof that you did nothing useful in your final week. That won't wash. You were working successfully for the rest of the time.

I suspect if anyone is going to sit on the loss it will be the agency and not you.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks guys,

I am keen for the client to pay aswell, as they have used the service (I can see them using all the tricks in the book against the agency)

Also wanted to ask, with regards to quality of work or anything like that are there reasons that they can use to not pay the timesheet (for both me and agency) regarding the work, it was a data entry role, so i think the above would apply.

what about citizens advice buerea would they be able to help?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        You might want to start your own thread about this - it's been discussed in the past.

You run the risk that people won't read your question when it's hidden in a pretty unrelated thread.
        Moved to separate thread.

Now, a basic principle is that if you've done the work, you're entitled to be paid. Complaints about quality of work when they've paid up until that last week are simply attempts to muddy the water.

Your contract is with the agency. They are the ones you must dun. Do not get into an argument - simply state that on these dates you did x hours, and there is no timesheet as the end-client is unreasonably refusing to sign on.

Just invoice the agency for the work you did on the last week. If they don't pay on time, then follow the advice on www.payontime.co.uk, and read other threads on this forum about late payment. You shouldn't go to court without being able to show that you've been reasonable. Final demand for payment should, in my view, come no earlier than two months after the original due date.

If you are opted-in, then timesheets are irrelevant, and the agency must pay you. If you are opted-out, it isn't so straightforward, but the chances are you are entitled to payment for the work you did. However, getting the money out of the client is the agency's problem - not yours. That's part of the reason why they take a margin - to cover their risk exposure.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And if you need a legal, Roger Sinclair at Egos is your man.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sounds like there were issues with things anyway (you mentioned issues with times the previous week) made worse because you then handed your notice in.

I would say client is within their right to tell you you to go home early and not come back. (MOO) But they cant throw their toys out of the cot and play funny buggers about the previous week and even have got to cough for the monday IMHO.

Like everyones said, stuff the agency, its their problem getting paid by the client not yours. Let them argue with the client.

Admitedly, not having signed timesheets makes it tougher but if it was me I'd still push it.

Take them to small claims court. No hassles and quite good fun. Chances are agency will back down and pay up in the end.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blinko View Post
              does anyone know any good lawyers when it comes to challenging agencies and timesheets.

I am owed a weeks work and I am having trouble obtaining payment from the agency as they are having trouble from the client I believe.

I would prefer not to go legal, but I am preparing myself for the worst, thanks
              Hardly worth employing a lawyer for a week's money........No very professional but if the agency are claiming difficulty with the client ask for their contact so you can complain directly to the client. Most savvy client companies can do without the hassle of a bad rep for not paying within reasonable time.
              Last edited by Taita; 31 May 2012, 16:21. Reason: clarification

Comment

what about citizens advice buerea would they be able to help?

Thanks.
                Not unless you want to risk bad advice or wait a very long time to see someone. They mainly deal with employees not businesses, which you are.

You have been given a lot of advice on this thread about how to deal with bad debts and who your relationship is with so I suggest you read up and start the process yourself of chasing a bad debt.

It's not hard and it's likely once you submit your small claims court action you will be paid.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. I am at the lower end of the agency contractor rankings and normally due to the low amount ( less than £500) people would pay it, but this client is particularly difficult and has been for previous contractors etc.

You would never believe that a department is run the way it is, but then again I am not the only one that has had a tough ride part of the job hey.

I will try and keep you guys up to date with whats going on, thanks again

Comment

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. I am at the lower end of the agency contractor rankings and normally due to the low amount ( less than £500) people would pay it, but this client is particularly difficult and has been for previous contractors etc.
                    )
                    Then it's not worth the agency going to court over. Start chasing now i.e. issue you an invoice. You should have it paid within 3 months i.e. once they have received your small claims court papers.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Then it's not worth the agency going to court over. Start chasing now i.e. issue you an invoice. You should have it paid within 3 months i.e. once they have received your small claims court papers.
                      Thanks I think I will prepare the invoice, I will email a couple of times and call next week to try and seek an update, unless there is a yes we are paying you then I think I will have to get the ball rolling on the process.

just to update, I am opted out of the agency workers regulations

Comment

Working...
                      X