• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linkedin as Networking Site and Finding Opps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linkedin as Networking Site and Finding Opps

Unlike some heavy weights, I only have around 120+ contacts and joined the site recently. Most of my contacts I actually know at a personal level and are people that I have worked with. Would you say that this site is a good source for obtaining leads to new contract opportunities? Does it work for you?

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
    Unlike some heavy weights, I only have around 120+ contacts and joined the site recently. Most of my contacts I actually know at a personal level and are people that I have worked with. Would you say that this site is a good source for obtaining leads to new contract opportunities? Does it work for you?
    It certainly was a good for all those who found me and asked to be linked and give them leads to Jobs, give professional references and a LinkedIn recommendation so they can tag that to their CV as a link. Ironically most of the ones I knew I felt were dead weight at the time of working with them. I also received requests to be friends (not sure why?) from people I didn't know but that is another issue.

So I closed the account and never looked back.

Comment

I get contacted a couple of times a month by agents who found me on LinkedIn and have a suitable role for me. I actually had to put my contract completion date on my profile to minimise the offers. I think it works. Of course the Holy Grail is to get called by a client directly via LinkedIn and bypass the agency...

Comment

I get direct contacts from potential clients, and from agents alike. Like Stan said, I put have to my availability in my title to avoid too many calls. It does seem to work for me. I have a lot of 'selected' people I have worked with at client sites and previous employers, so people that know my work know when I am available. I do only have only a few 'selected' agents linked in with me. No matter how many times agents contact me, unless I know them and we've worked together, and they have been professional, and tried their best for me and my business, then they don't get linked in.
        Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 2 August 2012, 07:15.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
          I get direct contacts from potential clients, and from agents alike. Like Stan said, I put have to my availability in my title to avoid too many calls. It does seem to work for me. I have a lot of 'selected' people I have worked with at client sites and previous employers, so people that know my work know when I am available. I do only have only a few 'selected' agents linked in with me. No matter how many times agents contact me, unless I know them and we've worked together, and they have been professional, and tried their best for me and my business, then they don't get linked in.
          Since I have put my contacts as private, I get less invites from agents Had some job profiles from the site though, its another tool to have I guess when looking.

Comment

I'm in infrastructure support / implementation and I can't really say it's helped me in the last 5 years (yet!)

Comment

It's helped me land 2 permanent jobs and 2 contracts so far so I'm all for it, a fair few of my connections are recruitment consultants so like an earlier poster said it's best to put in the completion date of your contract to minimise unnecessary noise. Oh and I hide my connections so that they're not bothered by agents well I hope they're hidden even to paid users.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

I did get my last role thought Linkedin. It is also interesting to see you has looked at your profile. I went for an interview this week and found at least 2 people from the clients site had looked up my profile. I do have a few ' trusted' agents ( if there are such a thing) as contacts as well. It is getting used more and more now. Also, it is useful to be proactive and contact people in your contacts list to see if they know of any roles.
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

You need to think of it a little more than the average Facebook account.

I only have about 200 contacts but I keep agents to a very small number of trusted people. I am linked into lots of CTO/CIO
                  Try and pick the groups you are a member of with care, Then make contributions to them that will show a new client how you think.

If I go to an interview I make a point of checking out linked in for the person I am meeting, and I discuss their profile with them at the interview. I also tend to link in with interviewers as well. I also keep a few good recommendations for my last four or five roles and never accept a recommendation from some that I recommend.

I get three or four quality leads a year for this effort.

But if all you are doing is using it as another facebook clone then you are not going to get a quality result.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    You need to think of it a little more than the average Facebook account.

I only have about 200 contacts but I keep agents to a very small number of trusted people. I am linked into lots of CTO/CIO
                    Try and pick the groups you are a member of with care, Then make contributions to them that will show a new client how you think.

If I go to an interview I make a point of checking out linked in for the person I am meeting, and I discuss their profile with them at the interview. I also tend to link in with interviewers as well. I also keep a few good recommendations for my last four or five roles and never accept a recommendation from some that I recommend.

I get three or four quality leads a year for this effort.

But if all you are doing is using it as another facebook clone then you are not going to get a quality result.
                    I think you are right in terms of proactive snooping on your interviewers/clients. Also just to say that I only have 9 friends on FB and most are my family etc.. I'm not a great fan of it and would rather put the effort in to maintaining Linkedin details.. at least it has the potential to contribute in my success whereas FB is just a parade show of what you did in Ibiza!!

Comment

Working...
                    X