• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The direct approach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The direct approach

Does anyone have experience (success or otherwise) of speculative direct approaches to clients?

I mean completely speculative, that is no prior dealings to fall back on, no named contact other than an email address on the company's career page.

Today an agent emails me with "urgent requirement" and the end client is not difficult to determine (very local to me). As the agent is not one I wish to deal with I figure why not try direct. The company's careers page lists several permanent vacancies so I know they are hiring permies at least.

Main issue is really just how best to approach this. Having brain farts trying to find the right words for a covering email.

Hints & tips, anecdotes, please, anyone?

nothing wrong with trying.

Client co might be happy to go that way.

Some client co's require the agency not just for recruitment purposes, but to keep you at arms length from an employment perspective as well.

So what could happen is they invite you in for interview, they offer you the role, and only then mention your contract will be through the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
      Does anyone have experience (success or otherwise) of speculative direct approaches to clients?

I mean completely speculative, that is no prior dealings to fall back on, no named contact other than an email address on the company's career page.

Today an agent emails me with "urgent requirement" and the end client is not difficult to determine (very local to me). As the agent is not one I wish to deal with I figure why not try direct. The company's careers page lists several permanent vacancies so I know they are hiring permies at least.

Main issue is really just how best to approach this. Having brain farts trying to find the right words for a covering email.

Completely speculative seems a little risky if it is a contract you want. If they say no, you may have queered the agency route as well.

Many ClientCos prefer to have an agency buffer between them and the candidate for a number of very valid business reasons.

Situation would be different if you know they take direct contractors. Then I would say you have a good chance of bypassing the agency

Comment

I've done it with a smallish client and also with a biggish banking client, but with the big client, there were some exceptional circumstances. I think it will depend on your industry and the size of the client TBH.

Over the years, at HBOS, I've had managers phone me on several occasions and simply ask if I wanted a gig. They would then phone their Single Supplier (at that time) and it would be done and dusted.

I came back to (now Lloyds) a few weeks ago, and although the gig was actually 'got' for me by someone I knew, I was still made to go through the route of sending a CV to a certain agency, who then had to forward it to some central team who then forwarded it to the hiring manager. If the hiring manager did not get the CV via that exact route, then they couldn't 'buy' you for the gig, regardless of the fact that the client approached me in the first place. Procedures like this make direct contracting, except at the very highest level, almost impossible with big clients.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Look up the company profile on LinkedIn, you should see their employees that are LinkedIn also. you may have to trawl through a few profiles but eventually you'll have a fair idea of who you need to speak to.

Comment

This approach worked for me once, all be it a long time ago. What is there to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post

Just whatever you do, don't send any email to HR, i.e. not to [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]. The job of HR (if you haven't figured it out yet) is not to hire people but to stop people from being hired. Send your application to a real person, a technical manager with an actual stake in getting his project working, somebody who can understand your qualifications and might conceivably be waiting for a chap like you.
              Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Failed to find anyone at mid-management level so (after some procrastination) emailed CV to VP of Engineering.

Boom or bust? We shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
                  Just whatever you do, don't send any email to HR, i.e. not to [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]. The job of HR (if you haven't figured it out yet) is not to hire people but to stop people from being hired. Send your application to a real person, a technical manager with an actual stake in getting his project working, somebody who can understand your qualifications and might conceivably be waiting for a chap like you.
                  I've had interviews and roles by emailing these types of addresses.

Comment

The few times a client has contacted me about a gig I had to go through their agent. The only good thing is the rate was agreed directly but the agent still tried it on. Biggest problems with larger clients I found was their insistence to use a Preferred Suppliers List that was nigh on impossible to get on so my hands were tied.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X