• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to a prior client...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to a prior client...

OK, one here for The Crew to ponder and comment.

I've an interview next week for a role with the very last client I worked for. Previous stint with them was two years, continuous. I was "let go" 6 months ago as the project was complete and they had no further work for me. So, from an IR35 perspective, that all looks OK.

Now, the new role - if it comes off - will be for a different Dept. and a different Manager. So, again, this seems to look OK from an IR35 perspective.

Clearly the only concern I have is the fact that if I stayed another year or two, Hector might raise his head over this "long stint of employment" - as I'm sure they'd want to see it that way - with the same client (as it's the same company.) However, with this not having been on the same project, and not with the same manager, and the fact that they "let me go" and I wasn't working there for 6 months, I think I'm covered fairly well.

Only things I can think of doing at the moment should this go ahead are: 1) Get the contract reviewed. 2) Make sure the "role" and "project" are very distinct from the last role & project I did for them both in the contract and in the actuality of the work. 3) Avoid getting dragged back into anything to do with the prior project. 4) Make sure the "working practices" are also clearly outside of IR35.

Have I missed anything? Anyone else been in a similar position of returning to a prior client for potentially another long stay where you haven't taken any other contract in between?

Comments welcome. *

Cheers

* Apart from Use Search!
    nomadd liked this post

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    OK, one here for The Crew to ponder and comment.

I've an interview next week for a role with the very last client I worked for. Previous stint with them was two years, continuous. I was "let go" 6 months ago as the project was complete and they had no further work for me. So, from an IR35 perspective, that all looks OK.

Now, the new role - if it comes off - will be for a different Dept. and a different Manager. So, again, this seems to look OK from an IR35 perspective.

Clearly the only concern I have is the fact that if I stayed another year or two, Hector might raise his head over this "long stint of employment" - as I'm sure they'd want to see it that way - with the same client (as it's the same company.) However, with this not having been on the same project, and not with the same manager, and the fact that they "let me go" and I wasn't working there for 6 months, I think I'm covered fairly well.

Only things I can think of doing at the moment should this go ahead are: 1) Get the contract reviewed. 2) Make sure the "role" and "project" are very distinct from the last role & project I did for them both in the contract and in the actuality of the work. 3) Avoid getting dragged back into anything to do with the prior project. 4) Make sure the "working practices" are also clearly outside of IR35.

Have I missed anything? Anyone else been in a similar position of returning to a prior client for potentially another long stay where you haven't taken any other contract in between?

Comments welcome. *

Cheers

* Apart from Use Search!
    I've done exactly the same thing. I'm with the same client, different division and this time direct.

I can prove that this is a different contract, the only negative is that I've lost my 24-month exes (but I negotiated that into the new day rate).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

+1

Same here. As long as the working practices are distinct you should be fine.

Comment

Have I missed anything?
        5) Subcontract out some of the work to a contractor you know and trust. Who knows, maybe they will send some work your way too.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Nothing wrong with this. Some companies have business relationships with suppliers for 10's of years. As long as you tick the boxes and don't get lax with it like the JLJ case then fill your boots.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you have everything covered, going in with open eyes and knowing you'll have to get contract reviewed and mirror the working practices.
            We have clients who have been with the same client for a lot longer than 2 years, as long as the contracts are good and you dont deviate you should be ok.
            good luck with the interview

Comment

Not being paid for six months between the projects is hardly an indicator of employment
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Not being paid for six months between the projects is hardly an indicator of employment
                Oh, I agree. But you know how Hector likes to spin things: We are all employed by our clients and are just trying to hide it for tax evasion purposes.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Oh, I agree. But you know how Hector likes to spin things: We are all employed by our clients and are just trying to hide it for tax evasion purposes.
                  OMG!! Shhhhhhhhhhhhh... If hector got wind of this there would a raft of legislations hastily rolled out to fail at dealing with this.... oh.. hang on...
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X