• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting through umbrella companies work permit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting through umbrella companies work permit

Hi Everyone,
    I am currently working in UK through Workpermit Tier 2 (ICT)
    While searching for permanent job in UK (I'm a software developer) utterly failed (no one is willing to sponsor a visa), I came across a website where they say they will provide work permit for contractors through umbrella companies.
    May I know how does this work? Are there any issues or risks in it?
    Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Arun

I don't have any advice, but I know that many of us would be very interested in finding out how that works, so do keep us posted.

What's the website?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

it's illegal, and it's called 'bodyshopping'.

Comment

Not allowed I'm afraid - work permits have to be sponsored by the company that you will actually be doing the work for; an umbrella company is an intermediary.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

don't know if its allowed or not but I know couple of people already doing it!!

the umbrella sponsors the visa and off you go to your client as a contractor (umbrella's SME ofcourse). Umbrella gets a healthy margin and the contractor gets a good rate! All happy chappy!!

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Not allowed I'm afraid - work permits have to be sponsored by the company that you will actually be doing the work for; an umbrella company is an intermediary.

Comment

Its Illegal

This is not the right place to ask this. You should consult a solicitor. I would recommend you to stay within your ICT rules. <removed>

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I don't have any advice, but I know that many of us would be very interested in finding out how that works, so do keep us posted.

What's the website?
              So we can petition for this loophole or whatever it is to be closed you mean?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wouldn't be these guys would it?

Tier 2 Visa Work Permit Sponsorship for Contractors
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Although it falls outside of what constitutes legal, it is a practice that is followed by a lot of companies to supply cheap labour and pocket a lot of cash. This was done even in the days of work permits ( replaced by tier 1, tier 2 etc ) when work permits had the company name on them and by law you had to work for the company which sponsored the permit. Any kind of work visa is massively abused to bring in cheap labour from developing countries but where it crosses the line is that the guy who comes ino the country in this way is now trapped in the paws of the umbrella company who have the power over him. He has no choice but to toil for them or go back.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Although it falls outside of what constitutes legal, it is a practice that is followed by a lot of companies to supply cheap labour and pocket a lot of cash. This was done even in the days of work permits ( replaced by tier 1, tier 2 etc ) when work permits had the company name on them and by law you had to work for the company which sponsored the permit. Any kind of work visa is massively abused to bring in cheap labour from developing countries but where it crosses the line is that the guy who comes ino the country in this way is now trapped in the paws of the umbrella company who have the power over him. He has no choice but to toil for them or go back.

It just amazes me what lengths people go just to stay and work in the UK. If they are unhappy with their current employer, they should go back unless they are listed as "wanted" in their country...

Comment

Working...
                    X