• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG and QDOS IR35 coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG and QDOS IR35 coverage

OK. So PCG offer IR35 coverage as part of the membership but this does not cover penalties etc if you lose.

I know they use Abbey Tax and you can contact them to add their Survive35 product (which then does cover this). Anyone know how much this costs?

I know some people are PCG members and have QDOS TLC35 coverage which, apparently, is pretty good (for £360 a year).

But in the event of a claim, who would you contact first? Surely you've got coverage for the same thing here (albeit PCG wont shell out if you lose)?

I would imagine at this point you'd have choose which one deals with your affairs. Would be nice if they could both do it together. Probably would have to go with QDOS though just in case you lost. Can't imagine they'd pay out if you let PCG handle it then they lost the case, then you come to QDOS to pay the tax (probably in the t+cs you cant do this).

Of course, there is additional benefit of PCG possibly worth paying membership for.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Just a silly passing thought, but has it occurred to you to phone PCG and ask them?

FWIW Survive35 is from Abbey, who would also be handling the case for PCG, so it's all properly joined up. Cost is around £250 from memory, there's proper details onthe main PCG website.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Just a silly passing thought, but has it occurred to you to phone PCG and ask them?

FWIW Survive35 is from Abbey, who would also be handling the case for PCG, so it's all properly joined up. Cost is around £250 from memory, there's proper details onthe main PCG website.
      Yes. I know Survive35 is Abbey.

TLC35 is QDOS though and replicates some of the standard PCG cover.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        TLC35 is QDOS though and replicates some of the standard PCG cover.
        Well kinda.You end up inthe same place by different routes. Whether or not you need to, or can rely on the historical success rates of both to ensure you don't need them is another question. Both ask questions before they'll take you on, and the right answers mean your case is defensible so back taxes aren't going to happen. It's also worth remembering that the only people to have been stung for back tax are the ones who defended themselves (or started off defending themselves, by which time it's too late anyway).
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well kinda.You end up inthe same place by different routes. Whether or not you need to, or can rely on the historical success rates of both to ensure you don't need them is another question. Both ask questions before they'll take you on, and the right answers mean your case is defensible so back taxes aren't going to happen. It's also worth remembering that the only people to have been stung for back tax are the ones who defended themselves (or started off defending themselves, by which time it's too late anyway).
          Always wondered that. Are you saying that NO-ONE represented by PCG or QDOS has ever been stung for the back taxes?

Encouraging I must admit. Maybe that's why QDOS offer the policy for a fairly low price - they know that there's very little chance of having to pay out if the policyholder is represented properly.

If this is true, again just shows how flawed the IR35 legislation is if HMRC can only nab those without proper representation.

Comment

Always wondered that. Are you saying that NO-ONE represented by PCG or QDOS has ever been stung for the back taxes?

Encouraging I must admit. Maybe that's why QDOS offer the policy for a fairly low price - they know that there's very little chance of having to pay out if the policyholder is represented properly.

If this is true, again just shows how flawed the IR35 legislation is if HMRC can only nab those without proper representation.
            It's often the way though...the weaker ones are the easy targets, i.e. those without representation who panic at the sight of a letter-headed notice and immediately cough up whatever is being asked for.

Even if you do genuinely owe HMRC money for being naughty, they ultimately have to weigh up the benefit of claiming this money back off you versus the cost of chasing you for it, otherwise they may well end up with a net loss if you have good representation.

Just goes to show the importance of not trying to go it alone, I say.

Comment

I'd have to qualify that with "as far as I know", since tax affairs are confidential, but it's certainly what I've heard from informed sources.

But HMRC are getting quite a lot of money out of IR35; just look at all those people using brollies...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'd have to qualify that with "as far as I know", since tax affairs are confidential, but it's certainly what I've heard from informed sources.

But HMRC are getting quite a lot of money out of IR35; just look at all those people using brollies...
                LOL. I guess from their (HMRC) point of view then its working. Worth a tilt also I guess to have a go at a few contractors who may buckle easily but leave those alone with good representation. Makes financial sense for them.

Bit like people who pay up private parking ticket demands..... Sod that.

Comment

Normally get QDOS to review my contracts. Free since I pay for PE etc.

Abbey Tax want £175+VAT just to review my contract before they'll even give me a quote. Hmmm. Bit steep considering its £175 PLUS whatever they will charge for the policy. (£300 upwards)

As opposed to QDOS where its £360 for the year with no upfront review costs.

Can't see how Abbey Tax can get any business by doing this? Surely best to just go with QDOS?

Comment

Normally get QDOS to review my contracts. Free since I pay for PE etc.

Abbey Tax want £175+VAT just to review my contract before they'll even give me a quote. Hmmm. Bit steep considering its £175 PLUS whatever they will charge for the policy. (£300 upwards)

As opposed to QDOS where its £360 for the year with no upfront review costs.

Can't see how Abbey Tax can get any business by doing this? Surely best to just go with QDOS?
                    Abbey is £160 + VAT; use the PCG website. Do that and you'll find Lawspeed from £85....
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X