• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A voice for the contract industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread will be more appropriate in Business/Contracts.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      This thread will be more appropriate in Business/Contracts.
      Given most CUK contractors are morally corrupt tax dodgers, General might be most appropriate

I know I don't pay what Norman Clegg would consider my fair share.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I pay more as an overall figure versus my PAYE days, but less as an overall %. Plus my income comes from the EU, so that's money I'm earning for the UK taxman that would otherwise not come into the UK.

Do I get any brownie points for that?

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
          I pay more as an overall figure versus my PAYE days, but less as an overall %. Plus my income comes from the EU, so that's money I'm earning for the UK taxman that would otherwise not come into the UK.

Yes you get 3 Brownie points but lose 2 UKIP points

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            I'm sure the PCG provides some benefits, although as a voice of the contract industry I have found their efforts so far to be lame.

I would love us to have something akin to the British Retail Consortium that people actually listen to.

I also agree that there are plenty of contractors who would shoot us in the foot, so part of the message would have to be that we too find deliberate disguised employment for tax purposes unacceptable.
            Well, when contractors have the turnover and employ as many people as the BRC then I'm sure PCG can simply waltz up and knock on the door of number ten. Until then we're a considerably less significant issue for HMG. Plus of course, when you realise that numbers=influence, the main thing preventing PCG from having more influence is having contractors who don't join. Chicken and egg, and all that.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
              Plus my income comes from the EU, so that's money I'm earning for the UK taxman that would otherwise not come into the UK.

I wish. I genuinely think some sort of tax-relief on export would be a great idea in the same way that there is for R&D.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I also agree that there are plenty of contractors who would shoot us in the foot, so part of the message would have to be that we too find deliberate disguised employment for tax purposes unacceptable.
                So probably for the best that they keep their mouths shut and focus on making sure we win as many tax investigations as possible. The last thing we want is small businesses dividends to attract 10% NI tax and somehow see this as a win.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                  Really?? To the average man in the street, we pay far less than our fair share. Be honest you pay far less tax than someone on PAYE earning less than you.
                  Errrrrmmm, no I don't. I probably pay less than I would purely on PAYE but significantly more than most. Why is it fair that I should pay yet more taking into account the risks of running my own business?

It winds me up that the likes of Hodge can claim that contractors only pay 25% on dividends, completely ignoring the fact that Corporation tax has to be paid before dividends can be paid. This is the sort of thing that should be challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    If you are this desperate to make a difference I would have thought you would have put some effort in to researching it IMO.
                    Such as? I am well aware of the issues. I read (despair at) the minutes of the meetings with HMRC. I recently submitted a response to the HMRC review of controlling persons. If you can tell me what I have missed I will go and read up.

Comment

Errrrrmmm, no I don't. I probably pay less than I would purely on PAYE but significantly more than most. Why is it fair that I should pay yet more taking into account the risks of running my own business?

It winds me up that the likes of Hodge can claim that contractors only pay 25% on dividends, completely ignoring the fact that Corporation tax has to be paid before dividends can be paid. This is the sort of thing that should be challenged.
                      Your tax planner is rubbish then, cos I pay far, far less than I would on PAYE, in fact I pay less than I did in my last permie job, and yet my turnover is £50000 higher!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X