• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Role Defect Manager vs Test Manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Role Defect Manager vs Test Manager

Im after some advice / opinion,

My usual role is Test Manager including many senior positions.

Ive been offered (contract being drawn up) a role as a Defect Manager, requirement duration 6-9 months. It’s a senior role in a very demanding project, such that the rate is about £100pd above the average for a Test Manager and the highest rate ive ever secured. As well as the high rate im attracted to the Defect Manager role as its with a good organisation/project (my usual field), also, im kind of relishing the change in focus and the challenge in what I can do with a more narrow focus to concentrate on.

If I dont accept the Defect Manager role my Warchest is such that I can wait for a Test Manager role, but to get one at the rate ive been offered would be a challenge. There's also the bench time to consider (lets assume 1-2 months to find a role with similar rate to the one ive been offered, slightly less time for a less senior role)

My questions / concerns are specifically:

Assuming I will be looking to return to the role of a Test Manager with my next contract, will there be perception that the Defect Manager role carries less responsibility/bredth than a Test Manager role, such that it could have a big impact on my marketability/skillset for future roles?

Is the short term gain worth it, or could there be a negative longer term impact? Would I be judged primarily on my last role ('you’re only as good as your last role' etc) and the preceding 8 Test Manager contracts value devalued / overlooked.
    Last edited by Barley; 24 October 2012, 22:39.

Originally posted by Barley View Post
    Im after some advice / opinion,

Ive been lucky to secure a role as a Defect Manager, a senior role in a very demanding project, such that the rate is £100pd above the average for a Test Manager (the latter being my usual contract role - numerous contracts). As well as the high rate ive taken the Defect Manager role as its with a good organisation (my usual field) and location is good.

My questions / concerns are:

Assuming I will be looking to return to the role of a Test Manager with my next contract, will there be perception that the Defect Manager role carries less responsibility/bredth than a Test Manager role, such that it could have a big impact on my marketability/skillset for future roles?

I guess im worried that the short term gain could have a negative longer term impact? and that I may be judged primarily on my last role ('youre only as good as your last role') and the preceeding 8 Test Manager contracts value will be watered down / overlooked.
    Yes and No, the way I see the roles is a Test Manager plans the testing, create the tes plans, maybe executes them if its a small ish team or over sees the Test Analysts day to day function. A defect manager will take the raised defects by the Testing team and then work with Dev's to assign work to fix them, deal with BA's to see if the requirements where right in the first place.

From my point of view they go hand in hand so it won't hurt having both areas on your CV's, in fact it might open up more doors, if in the rare event someone does question it you turn around and say "To get a better understanding of my main role, I walk in the shoes of my closet stake holders to see what their need are".

If you have been contracting in several Test Managers roles before and never come across defect management I would say you got bigger problems than this one contract.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You are worrying over nothing. It is in your hands to market yourself to the next client. You just emphasise the skills used in the job you have now to match the criteria for the one you are applying for and make yourself fit the role. I don't think many clients are so hung up on the title that they won't read your skills and the agent will just work on keywords. You could even show that you bringing g added value to your next gig that a one trick pony tester can't. Having a variety of skills within the same area can be a bonus not a drawback.

Sounds to me you have done ok for yourself there. Why go back to testing if you can do that role well?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        If you have been contracting in several Test Managers roles before and never come across defect management I would say you got bigger problems than this one contract.
        Defect Management is usually part and parcel of my Test Management roles or shared with other PMO resources (as well as my team).

I guess ive been finding it hard to rationalise is the rate, if im honest it surprised me but I gather theyve upped it as previously advertised rate did not attract the right people (may go some way to explaining things). Im probably undervaluing the skillset as a ive viewed a Defect Manager in some way subordinate to a Test Manager but perhaps thats not really the case, there are differences in the skillset so it may actually broaden my knowledge and open doors?

As northernladuk suggests I probably am worrying about nothing, just wanted some reassurance I suppose, I agree whats been said about being up to me to market myself and not to get hung up on the tittle.

Comment

Had to fill the defect managers shoes

I have been moved into the defect manager role. I am an out and out project manager so not too happy about it. I have to manage the triage of defects in the release with off shore staff the thought of it sends me to sleep.
          I view this as a down grade but there is a need for it and there was no one else in the team.....

Comment

Originally posted by Barley View Post
            Defect Management is usually part and parcel of my Test Management roles or shared with other PMO resources (as well as my team).

I guess ive been finding it hard to rationalise is the rate, if im honest it surprised me but I gather theyve upped it as previously advertised rate did not attract the right people (may go some way to explaining things). Im probably undervaluing the skillset as a ive viewed a Defect Manager in some way subordinate to a Test Manager but perhaps thats not really the case, there are differences in the skillset so it may actually broaden my knowledge and open doors?

As northernladuk suggests I probably am worrying about nothing, just wanted some reassurance I suppose, I agree whats been said about being up to me to market myself and not to get hung up on the tittle.
            Then you are in trouble, you are a contractor, you should exude confidence, if you don't believe you can do it why would someone else?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Defect managers are usually pedantic little ******* who can just about manage to look after a list of things.

Test Managers are virtual gods above a sea of tulip and pus.

If someone is offering you better than test manager money to manage defects, then snap it up. I presume you're talking better than £500 at least then ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
              X