• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing reports (people) as a deliverable.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing reports (people) as a deliverable.

I have been offered a new gig but have been picked specifically as I have done some competency based management development in the past. The client wants me to look after and develop 5 direct reports. The last contractor just did the bear minimum and didn't do anything with them so the team is in a bit of a state and this is one of their requirements. There will be budget and time set aside for this.

Now I have no problem doing this and have pointed out to the client that this will have to be a separate deliverable on my contract to which they have agreed and asked me to put something together to add to my SoW. Having demonstrated this on my CV and having a set of deliverables I think I am covered for D&C and making it a set piece of work means I am not doing an enduring role of a manager in the organisation i.e. I am still delivering a service.

I am going to exclude standard yearly reviews as part of wage reviews etc and being a nominated mentor as I do see that as part and parcel of the organisation and not a developement deliverable. I expect the client might have a problem with this but sure I can negotiate it out, mainly on the basis I won't be there long enough to give a fair review.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? Anything else I should write out or in?
    How have other people handled managing reports in a gig, either documented or expected?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

NLUK asking for advice?!

I thought you knew everything about contracting! My faith has been shaken to the very core...

Comment

Are you sure you're cut out to be a contractor?

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist

Edit: have you done a search?

Comment

<sigh> I knew this would happen

Made my bed, gotta lie in it now I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I have been offered a new gig but have been picked specifically as I have done some competency based management development in the past. The client wants me to look after and develop 5 direct reports. The last contractor just did the bear minimum and didn't do anything with them so the team is in a bit of a state and this is one of their requirements. There will be budget and time set aside for this.

Now I have no problem doing this and have pointed out to the client that this will have to be a separate deliverable on my contract to which they have agreed and asked me to put something together to add to my SoW. Having demonstrated this on my CV and having a set of deliverables I think I am covered for D&C and making it a set piece of work means I am not doing an enduring role of a manager in the organisation i.e. I am still delivering a service.

I am going to exclude standard yearly reviews as part of wage reviews etc and being a nominated mentor as I do see that as part and parcel of the organisation and not a developement deliverable. I expect the client might have a problem with this but sure I can negotiate it out, mainly on the basis I won't be there long enough to give a fair review.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? Anything else I should write out or in?
          How have other people handled managing reports in a gig, either documented or expected?
          Been there, done that. Just be very clear that you will not be responsible for career-affecting decisions; that is down to a client employee and Human Remains. Clearly you will be instrumental in supplying objective assessments of performance, identifying training needs and so on, but acting on them is not in your scope: you're not insured to do that for one thing.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Been there, done that. Just be very clear that you will not be responsible for career-affecting decisions; that is down to a client employee and Human Remains. Clearly you will be instrumental in supplying objective assessments of performance, identifying training needs and so on, but acting on them is not in your scope: you're not insured to do that for one thing.
            That makes sense. So will word quite clearly in my SoW what I expect to do and what HR expect to do and my deliverable will be to HR not them or my client manager. I haven't been told about HR's involvement so far so will strike first then. Ta.

Comment

Working...
            X