• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A very concerned agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very concerned agent

I had a call today from an agent today, can't remember the agencies name, he said he wanted to put me forward for a position which he thought I was a perfect match for but "was concerned about the 3 months gap in my cv" since my last role.

Tried to explain to him that I am a contractor and not a permie so should expect some gaps in my cv, especially since I have taken some time off.

He seemed to ignore the fact that through 2005 to 2012 I have not had any breaks between roles, each role with numerous renewals longest being 3.5 yrs to the shortest being 18 months.

But no he kept going on about how he was "concerned about this gap"

I wonder if other agents who see gaps in a CV are a put off, this is new to me I have never heard of a contractor not being put forward because of gaps in their CV

Originally posted by akhtara7 View Post
    I had a call today from an agent today, can't remember the agencies name, he said he wanted to put me forward for a position which he thought I was a perfect match for but "was concerned about the 3 months gap in my cv" since my last role.

Tried to explain to him that I am a contractor and not a permie so should expect some gaps in my cv, especially since I have taken some time off.

He seemed to ignore the fact that through 2005 to 2012 I have not had any breaks between roles, each role with numerous renewals longest being 3.5 yrs to the shortest being 18 months.

I wonder if other agents who see gaps in a CV are a put off, this is new to me I have never heard of a contractor not being put forward because of gaps in their CV
    There's no shortage of agents with misconceptions. Look them up on LinkedIn, and I'll bet you a pound to a penny your agent is less than a year out of University and pretty green around the gills about how recruiting actually works.

The trick is never to lose your cool, no matter how tempting it may be or how much they deserve to be shaken awake. Just imbibe them with your confidence that, whatever their concern is, you've been a contractor for X many years and what they're worrying about simply isn't an issue. If they still don't get what you're saying after you explain things civilly, just walk away and deal with the guy that'll no doubt be replacing them next week after they finally get fired for failing to match good people to interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by akhtara7 View Post

This is not a gap issue but a stupid agent issue.

You handle it by not defending or arguing the point, say "apart from the 3 months, do you see anything else that would prevent the client from wanting to interview me? What skills are the best match do you think?". etc etc

You are in business, these are easy sales techniques.
      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

You got a role salesperson not an agent it seems. The gap between the two seems to be getting ever larger.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
          This is not a gap issue but a stupid agent issue.

You handle it by not defending or arguing the point, say "apart from the 3 months, do you see anything else that would prevent the client from wanting to interview me? What skills are the best match do you think?". etc etc

You are in business, these are easy sales techniques.
          +1 for this approach.

Comment

This is a good sign, if he was really concerned you wouldn't be able to get hold of him.

Obviously this guy thinks you're good and just wants to clarify the 3 months just in case, you know you weren't in detox or whatever.

Just explain it.

He's probably looked at the CV and thought "this guy looks good and up until now no gaps, so what happened?"

It's when they don't care you've got to worry.

I remember my time in Sales it was the potential customers who gave you the hardest time who were the hottest leads. The ones that smile and say "yeah yeah" don't go anywhere.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 November 2012, 17:39.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Agents don't mind if you have gaps but they have an issue if you have one gap.

One gap is suspicious - you could have been at HMP or recovering from an illness i.e. bound to take days off during the contract.

As the others said explain clearly what you were doing and then ask them if there are any other issues.

BTW I do know a contractor who served a prison sentence but as it was very short there was no gaps between his contracts.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You got a role salesperson not an agent it seems. The gap between the two seems to be getting ever larger.
                Whatever do you mean? Sounds interesting.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  Whatever do you mean? Sounds interesting.

I'm sure you have talked to agents with experience and agents straight from university. (All the young useless ones are graduates nowadays.) The first have some idea of what they are selling even if they understand SFA about what we do. The second haven't a clue about anything and next week they will be replaced by someone else due to not meeting any targets.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    ...... One gap is suspicious - you could have been at HMP or recovering from an illness i.e. bound to take days off during the contract.

That's a good point (by the way i wasn't inside...seriously). He did eventually put me forward for the role once I explained to him the reason for the gap and answered some techie questions

I was just really surprised for him to be so concerned, back of my mind I was thinking he's probably using the gap as an excuse to try and get 2 references out of me. But he didn't

I've been contracting for nearly 7 years and I am still being surprised by agents

Comment

Working...
                    X