• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being Part of the 'TEAM'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is to fly the flag of a contractor early on. This makes it more difficult for them to chip away at your working practices later on.

e.g.
    Breaks and lunch are not up for grabs. Don't ask clientco about them, don't talk about them.
    Wear a suit. And if somebody tells you not to bother, definitely wear a suit or dress smarter than the rest.
    Don't mix in to the 'family' too much. Depends on the workplace, but I don't like to be associated with permie coffee cliques, unless its with other contractors and the odd permie that tags along.
    Bring a laptop in. Work on that if its not a secure facility, and if you can connect to their network, use as your main PC. Bring it into meetings.
    Decline or don't go to meetings that have nothing to do with your work. This can be a difficult one, and may even upset some people, but if you're too busy then apologise and decline.
    My favourite and a good litmus test: Book a holiday, obviously pick the time wisely. Don't ask, just book it (as in flights/hotels). Tell your clientco / project manager which week(s) you're not around for, purely out of courtesy.

I'm sure there are many more that others can suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      One of my fave areas is making business decisions on behalf of the client particularly when dealing with live data. I make a point in refusing to authorise critical business changes without a member of client co having final sign off. My caveat line being 'Being a consultant I do not believe the responsibility/approval for changing/deleting live critical data should sit with me. Someone from the client should have final sign off/responsibility'. It's got to the point now that the client will actually say that in meetings to the project teams and steering co. Sorted. It's their data. I will advise but I will not take responsibility.

EDIT : Sorry, just some context, these teams normally made up of large offshore providors and our consultancy. It is pretty rare to have a client permie involved at this level.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
        I’m currently gigging at a ClientCo. which is a partnership between a Telco and a local Council. I know I should have assumed it would be pubic sector hell but I just didn’t listen to the voices.

Ok so the dilemma is one which is trotted out here daily so apologies in advance. I am doing some BA work for the IT side as they are migrating their ITSM system. Apparently this makes me a part of the Service Management ‘team’. Ok well I’ll sit near you all but were on strictly biz2biz here no hanky panky.

No actually I have to sign leaving cards, donate to charity, eat free fruit (ok I’ll do this), take breaks/lunch when told (I ignore this) and start finish as told (again currently ignored politely)

All that I could stand in a diluted-roundabout-coming-to-a-mutual-understanding sort of way if IF it was toned down. BUT and here’s the cracker, here’s the bit to make you sit up and take note…

…when I’m ‘quiet’ (chortle) I will be expected to take part in and actively support the BAU work that the plebs do. Not only that but my ‘free time’ (you’re killing me here) will be quantified, boxed off to the same times each week and added to the rota. That’s ROTA. Essentially the divvies want me to divvy up my time in a structured way each week and make sure that x time on y day is free every time without fail.

They don’t have many Contractors it would seem in this dept. and those they do take on mysteriously leave soon after…
        Show them a copy of your contract? Specifically, the bit that says what you're there to work on.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          My advice is to fly the flag of a contractor early on. This makes it more difficult for them to chip away at your working practices later on.

e.g.
          Breaks and lunch are not up for grabs. Don't ask clientco about them, don't talk about them.
          Wear a suit. And if somebody tells you not to bother, definitely wear a suit or dress smarter than the rest.
          Don't mix in to the 'family' too much. Depends on the workplace, but I don't like to be associated with permie coffee cliques, unless its with other contractors and the odd permie that tags along.
          Bring a laptop in. Work on that if its not a secure facility, and if you can connect to their network, use as your main PC. Bring it into meetings.
          Decline or don't go to meetings that have nothing to do with your work. This can be a difficult one, and may even upset some people, but if you're too busy then apologise and decline.
          My favourite and a good litmus test: Book a holiday, obviously pick the time wisely. Don't ask, just book it (as in flights/hotels). Tell your clientco / project manager which week(s) you're not around for, purely out of courtesy.

Cheesey,

Not sure about the booking holiday and then telling them idea to be honest. Could go a bit tong.

I agree the asking thing is bad idea but I always, out of courtesy, advise them of my plans and tell them to let me know if its a big problem for them. Seems fair enough.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Couldn't agree more. The card signing and all the crap is totally irrelavant to anything and is your choice. That is more relationship management and is totally up to you if you want to keep the client sweet or be a miserable bastard. People spend £1000's entertaining clients so buying cakes would fall under the same catagory for me. I don't see it as being part and parcel of the workforce.
            Same. Fellow contractor had first child about a week into me starting. Didn't know him that well but a £5 in the kitty to get him a card or some such bought some good will. Don't care about IR35 impact of me doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Cheesey,

Not sure about the booking holiday and then telling them idea to be honest. Could go a bit tong.

I agree the asking thing is bad idea but I always, out of courtesy, advise them of my plans and tell them to let me know if its a big problem for them. Seems fair enough.
              Thats a reasonable approach. Actually now I read my own post it sounds a little bit like a 'screw you' to clientco. I'm not advising anybody start a contract and immediately book a week off within the first month or two. Common sense and being professional applies, such as booking far enough in advance, and thinking about any deadlines you've agreed to, the kind of work you do and how it may affect clientco.

I guess 'if' you check with clientco and how you do this depends on your preference. What I don't want to end up doing is giving the impression that a choice is the norm. One clientco I was with even tried pushing annual leave request forms on contractors.. talk about taking the mick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Fellow contractor had first child about a week into me starting. Didn't know him that well but a £5 in the kitty to get him a card or some such bought some good will. Don't care about IR35 impact of me doing that.
                I had the opposite experience, actually. I was a contractor for a medium-sized insurance company when we had our second child and there was no card, congratulations or whatever as I was external and not part of the team. Fair enough, I thought. However, when one of the permies was in the same situation a month later and I was asked to contribute to the kitty I politely but firmly declined ...

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
                  I had the opposite experience, actually. I was a contractor for a medium-sized insurance company when we had our second child and there was no card, congratulations or whatever as I was external and not part of the team. Fair enough, I thought. However, when one of the permies was in the same situation a month later and I was asked to contribute to the kitty I politely but firmly declined ...
                  I had a sort of similar situation when my daughter was born.

PermieA's kid was born a few months before. I politely declined to add to the present fund.

When my daughter was born, PermieB's wife had a baby the following day. I was off for 2 weeks.

PermieC then emailed the team for a collection for PermieB.

The contractors (approx 10) and also PermieA were raging that my baby had been bypassed if you like.

PermieA then arranged the collection for me. I was told that we did very well because of the way it happened.

I then felt incredibly guilty for not putting in for PermieA.

It also helped slightly that both PermieB and PermieC were 2 of the most widely reviled people must of us had ever had the mis-pleasure of working with.

Comment

Working...
                  X