• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small Co. CTO vs. Hedge Fund Contract vs. Investment Bank Perm

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

northernladuk - do you even have a job or a brain? Do you live in the real world? Are you that gullible to think crystal balls exist or when someone asks for one, they really want one or think someone can provide one?? Have you ever heard of facetiousness or sarcasm or joviality? I might be blonde, but I honestly don't think crystal balls exist. duh.

I've done due diligence, but no amount of due diligence replaces risk and unknown factors, it only reduces them. If you had your head screwed on properly, you would understand that's the point I was making. The risk I am left with (after due diligence) is something I'm not sure I'm still willing to take. Seriously, do you have a job?

Edit... PS: I was offered the role after numerous interviews. I wouldn't be offered it if they didn't think I fit the role, so keep your judgments to yourself Mr. Mystic Meg!
    Last edited by Guest22; 6 December 2012, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
      Have you ever heard of facetiousness or sarcasm or joviality? I might be blonde, but I honestly don't think crystal balls exist. duh.
      Oh the irony. I have and I applied some in an earlier post and you abused me... twice. This is a free forum where you ask us to help you with a decision based on less than three lines. We don't know how many times you have been interviewed or anything but we can base it on your past posting history and that does not tell me you are cut out of CTO that is for sure.

Anyway, had enough of your attitude. Am out of here.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
        As the title pretty much says, I'm trying to compare three offers I have on the table as to which to take, and would like some opinions...

1. CTO at small company (23 people). Salary is 18% lower than my last permanent role and doesn't include a pension (my last perm employer gave 10% pension). It's also outside of finance/investment banking which is where I've been the past four years. However, includes 1% (+ 1% matched) equity vestable in three years. I would be responsible for the product roadmap and effectively the success of the company!

2. Contract at a highly reputable investment management company/hedge fund. Similar rate to what I'm on now. Exciting work - Greenfield, front office.

3. Perm role at large reputable investment bank where I've worked before. Existing project I know of - not exciting, back office. But it's through a mate who got me the job and working with people I know and am well established there already. Salary similar to my last perm role.

Then, two other potential offers in the pipeline with the same company as 3. above that are contracts in front office similar to the rate I'm on now, but these are not offers yet (still have interviews to go).

Any thoughts or opinions?...
        I'd deffo go for 1). Control of your destiny, could be a mega + mark on the old CV, potential for £££ but if it doesn't come off, you should have some bankable soft assets.

2) Same old, same old, you could do this any old time.

3) Why on Earth go into IB now?
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

It is a simple fact that most startups fail. Assume the lower figure on your equity pay out, otherwise you´ll flog yourself to death and be bitterly disappointed. I would not select this option for the money, choose it because you want to do it, and it sets you up in a career path you want to go down. You want money you go for the contract in a hedge fund, though I dare say you probably won´t be getting much of a social life. If IT bores you then go for the easy-peasy life in a back office where you can have a laugh, throw paper areoplanes around the office and work on being a pop star in your spare time.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

northernladuk...
            Your posting history doesn't tell me you're cut out for making accurate judgments - can't imagine how you make life or work decisions based on very limited information.

BlasterBates, thanks for your insight. However, it's not a startup. They've been around for 10 years and were once 50 people, but shrunk back to 3 people during the economic crisis before growing to 23 now.

Paper aeroplanes and pop star sounds good though!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              BrilloPad is working in a Hedge Fund at the moment.

He may post if he can be arsed.
              Have you read the thread?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I had a mate who did well with equity stake. Got 0.6% - after 1 year he got 600k! Was it MF who did badly?

I work at a hedge fund - its like the Wild West. All hedge funds are similar.
              To be honest I dislike banking so can't comment on the other offers. As for the first option if you don't want that job immediately it ain't the one for you.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm afraid I have to side with Northernlad here. You sound like a dreamer to me I'm afraid Neo and if you aren't certain you can make it a success then you're not the man for the job. I wouldn't want you leading my company.

However, looking at what you've said about the company itself, it seems like they're a bunch of dreamers as well - 10 years and they haven't made it. The recession kicked in 5 years ago so what about the first 5.

Good luck with whatever your choice but it sounds like Hobson's choice if the alternatives are investment banks/hedge funds (I know as I contract for them).

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It is a simple fact that most startups fail. Assume the lower figure on your equity pay out, otherwise you´ll flog yourself to death and be bitterly disappointed. I would not select this option for the money, choose it because you want to do it, and it sets you up in a career path you want to go down. You want money you go for the contract in a hedge fund, though I dare say you probably won´t be getting much of a social life. If IT bores you then go for the easy-peasy life in a back office where you can have a laugh, throw paper areoplanes around the office and work on being a pop star in your spare time.
                  This^

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  I'm afraid I have to side with Northernlad here. You sound like a dreamer to me I'm afraid Neo and if you aren't certain you can make it a success then you're not the man for the job. I wouldn't want you leading my company.
                  And this^
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

WHS

I left a big company and assumed role of Technical Director with a small company with a share in stocks. I was promised a lot in terms of future prospects and growth. Nothing materialised and the owners were just in it to make money for themselves.Company never grew and work got boring and I quit eventually.Gained nothing from it.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      There is always an element of risk that you cannot control no matter how talented or good you are at your job. So it's a bit silly saying that you are going to be completely responsible for a company's success in future when external factors may have a strong influence in the company's direction. This isn't a controversial statement as common sense tells you that if you work hard you can minimise the risk of failure and increase chances of success but you will never completely eliminate risk of failure altogether.

The OP needs to match the jobs on offer to suit their personality. If you want something more risky / entrepreneurial go with the smaller company, if you want something more structured than the permanent role is better suited.

Comment

Working...
                      X