• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced Xmas not working - penny pinching clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My client is shutting down for Christmas.

I told them I'll be working in my home office.

They said that wasn't necessary.

'I know' was my reply.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

I'm off from 24th December until 2nd January. My agent seems to think that I will be getting paid for this

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy
        Well, that was quick. Its started already....

Getting pressure for work in Feb that, in all honesty, is a good 3 months away from being ready.

Not helped by the fact I'm now off for Xmas. Also, as per usual, no-one seems to be interested when I remind them that, as things stand, my last days is 24th December. You couldn't make it up.

I've got a feeling that they're going to ask me to work Xmas after all. Not going to happen - I've got plans now. Not going to jump now.

Heres the best thing. Whole team has been told (permies and contractors) that they need to be available via mobile in case of emergency over the holiday period.

Nice one so I offer to come in anyway (so I'd be here anyway!) get knocked back and now they want free oncall. Let me think........

Time to get off my arse I think and get something else sorted....
        It won't make a difference if you move.

You need to learn to manage your client.

For example with the work situation you need to find something that is out of your control which means that piece of work can't be delivered in their dream timeline.

Likewise with the phone there is nothing stopping you leaving it on and answering them. However the fact you can't help them when you answer due to being in a different place or with relations who require your full attention, just means it's not worth the client's time to phone you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy
          Time to get off my arse I think and get something else sorted....
          Please do. Your client is pissing us off and we don't even know who they are....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            My client is shutting down for Christmas.

I told them I'll be working in my home office.

They said that wasn't necessary.

'I know' was my reply.
            So when you invoice and they tell you they aren't paying, what are you going to do?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Please do. Your client is pissing us off and we don't even know who they are....
              I need to spread some more rep before I can give you a + for that

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                So when you invoice and they tell you they aren't paying, what are you going to do?

I really feel sorry for you if you have a client that refuses to pay for work done.
                Still Invoicing

Comment

I really feel sorry for you if you have a client that refuses to pay for work done.
                  I really feel sorry for you ignoring an instruction from a client and then wondering why he tells you he will not pay for work he instructed you NOT to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                    I really feel sorry for you ignoring an instruction from a client and then wondering why he tells you he will not pay for work he instructed you NOT to do.
                    Yes, it was an 'instruction' from the client.

Not a blanket policy from some HR diptulip who has no idea about contractors or projects going on in the IS department.
                    Oh absolutely not.
                    No.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd told them I was working all the bank holidays so far this year and invoiced them for them...

Oh hang on I did.

Go back to your 'contract job' some of us have businesses to run.....
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Yes, it was an 'instruction' from the client.

Not a blanket policy from some HR diptulip who has no idea about contractors or projects going on in the IS department.
                      Oh absolutely not.
                      No.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd told them I was working all the bank holidays so far this year and invoiced them for them...

Oh hang on I did.

Go back to your 'contract job' some of us have businesses to run.....
                      Seriously??? My willingness to follow a request from my client makes me have a contract job?!? You willingness to insist on working could be equally construed as a lack of MOO, Mr. businessman

Comment

Working...
                      X