• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aviva Contractor Shake-Up - All Out Within 60 Days + Rate Cut of 10%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aviva Contractor Shake-Up - All Out Within 60 Days + Rate Cut of 10%

I've just discovered that Aviva will soon (i.e. within the next couple of days) be notifying all IT contractors that they will be expected to take a 10% rate cut with immediate (although I suspect it'll be from 1/1/2013) affect. If they don't accept the cut, they'll have their contract terminated.
    Last edited by Flubster; 14 December 2012, 15:32.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    I've just discovered that Aviva will soon (i.e. within the next couple of days) be notifying all IT contractors that they will be expected to take a 10% rate cut with immediate (although I suspect it'll be from 1/1/2013) affect. If they don't accept the cut, they'll have their contract terminated.

Also, all non-essential BAU contractors will be removed within 30-days and all 'critical' contractors to be removed within 60 days. Any contractors engaged on project work will have their contracts honoured (for the time being, but still have to take the 10% rate cut).

Anyone else at Aviva heard this? I've just signed a 12-month extension for a project I'm working on, but I'm not staying if I'm expected to absorb the 10% rate cut.
    Good for you. If everyone said no they wouldnt do it.

But of course, they know not everyone can afford to do so.

Pissed me off. Imagine if contractor did this? Waited until important work was due and then said 10% extra or I aint in tomorrow. Would be seen as unprofessional....

Yeh clients think its ok.... :-(
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Good for you. If everyone said no they wouldnt do it.

But of course, they know not everyone can afford to do so.

Pissed me off. Imagine if contractor did this? Waited until important work was due and then said 10% extra or I aint in tomorrow. Would be seen as unprofessional....

Yeh clients think its ok.... :-(
      Another client business based decision that pisses you off? Are you sure you are cut out for contracting. I went contracting to make me happier in my work not to be constantly pissed off. You really need to stop hating clients and learn to deal with them, your life will be much happier. You can't just say 'what if a contractor did this' all the time. Contractors do ask for rate rises and walk if they don't get it, or jump ship constantly to better gigs. The world is in trouble and people have to make cuts to save money or make numbers fit for shareholders. You really need to start thinking about clients business and your relationship with them IMO.

Barclays did this while I was there and there were 600 odd contractors and from what I saw only 5 or so left. Saying that they did it approaching xmas and they ruined any relationship with contractors who used to just see Barclays as a stop gap till they got something better hence the no notice contracts now. Implementing a cut when contracts become more available might have a different effect than that at Barclays.

I also said I would walk rather than take it but in the end when I did the sums a month on the bench would have meant I got a lot less anyway so stuck it through till contract end.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Another client business based decision that pisses you off? Are you sure you are cut out for contracting. I went contracting to make me happier in my work not to be constantly pissed off. You really need to stop hating clients and learn to deal with them, your life will be much happier. You can't just say 'what if a contractor did this' all the time. Contractors do ask for rate rises and walk if they don't get it, or jump ship constantly to better gigs. The world is in trouble and people have to make cuts to save money or make numbers fit for shareholders. You really need to start thinking about clients business and your relationship with them IMO.

Barclays did this while I was there and there were 600 odd contractors and from what I saw only 5 or so left. Saying that they did it approaching xmas and they ruined any relationship with contractors who used to just see Barclays as a stop gap till they got something better hence the no notice contracts now. Implementing a cut when contracts become more available might have a different effect than that at Barclays.

I also said I would walk rather than take it but in the end when I did the sums a month on the bench would have meant I got a lot less anyway so stuck it through till contract end.
        While I agree with a lot of your comments, I think any contractor is entitled to be annoyed if his rate is cut from the agreed one. I wonder why the clients just don't wait till renewals and then offer the revised rate, how much are they actually saving by forcing this on contractors. It would make me wary of working for them again as it would many excellent professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
          While I agree with a lot of your comments, I think any contractor is entitled to be annoyed if his rate is cut from the agreed one.
          And any client is entitled to be annoyed if a contractor gives notice to end a contract early. But it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            And any client is entitled to be annoyed if a contractor gives notice to end a contract early. But it happens.
            Of course, and I am sure the client would be wary about hiring that contractor again.

If I was in this situation I would take the cut but be looking to jump ASAP.

Comment

Aviva do this now and again. Also do it to permies. Don't take it personally.

The lot I am with did it a few weeks ago. My only gripe was that they should have waited until the end of each supplier's contract. I accepted and then gave notice when it suited me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

NLUK. Have a word with yourself...

Someone needs to tell you that:-

A). Your not always right about everything.
                B). Your approach and attitude is the not necessarily the best.
                C). You are not the world-leading expert on IT contracting.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

He's got a point though, you do moan about your clients a hell of a lot.

Comment

Fair enough, but I assume that (almost) every reply on the professional forums comes with the caveat, "in my opinion ..." and that way you can take on board or ignore replies as suits your own circumstances.

Well, that's my opinion !

Comment

Working...
                    X