• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Introduction fees for business opportunites (nothing to do with agencies)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction fees for business opportunites (nothing to do with agencies)

I'm looking at a contract where I could be introducing some technology which I think the client will really like.

If they do take this on then there is a good opportunity for a third party to provide a juicy amount of fairly high margin consultancy work related to it. Now, my own consulting company could potentially take this on but at the minute I just don't have the resources to cover it. I definitely don't want my client to think that some commission/referral/kickback fee from a consultancy firm is the prime motivation for introducing them to this technology (it's definitely not) but the business man in me doesn't want to just gift this piece of consultancy work to a third party company on a plate either.

So, I'm wondering if there is a way that I can take a referral fee or commission on this.

Some options:
    • Proverbial brown paper envelope down an alley. I know it does happen but it absolutely won't happen in my case for legal and ethical reasons.
    • Gift this work to a consultancy on the understanding that they "owe me one" and they will return the favour some day but with no written agreement or contractual obligation.
    • Arrange a formal commission type agreement whereby I get a margin on any consultancy work they supply to my client. Would this grate with the client and/or consultancy or it that fair business dealing?

Any thoughts?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I'm looking at a contract where I could be introducing some technology which I think the client will really like.

Some options:
    • Proverbial brown paper envelope down an alley. I know it does happen but it absolutely won't happen in my case for legal and ethical reasons.
    • Gift this work to a consultancy on the understanding that they "owe me one" and they will return the favour some day but with no written agreement or contractual obligation.
    • Arrange a formal commission type agreement whereby I get a margin on any consultancy work they supply to my client. Would this grate with the and/or consultancy or it that fair business dealing?

Any thoughts?
    Number 3 your a business doing business with another business this happens all the time, don't even think about option 1 or 2, especially 2 the "owe me one" will be quickly forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Some options:
      • Arrange a formal commission type agreement whereby I get a margin on any consultancy work they supply to my client. Would this grate with the client and/or consultancy or it that fair business dealing?

Any thoughts?
      ^ This ^

You run a business. One of it's primary purposes is to make money. If you're worried that the client may find out about this deal then add something into the contract between your limited company and the 3rd party forbidding any discussions about contractual terms.

And if the client do find out about this anyway, you haven't done anything wrong.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

#4 cut the client PM in on it
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          #4 cut the client PM in on it
          That opens you up to the bribery act 2010 so don't do that
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            That opens you up to the bribery act 2010 so don't do that
            Make sure to give eek a cut to keep him(?) quiet.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Pitch to the client what you want to do and why they should pay you the consultancy work. Best outcome would be to get the client to pay you for the third parties work and then add your margin to the third party fees.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
              X