• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's more a matter for US Immigration. If they catch you at it then there's every chance they will deport you as the US takes a strict view of its visa conditions. If you're caught then bye-bye Green Card.
    Do you really want to take the risk? With what you describe you're struggling to word it and clearly stretching the meaning of words, how do you think that would come across to an Immigration Officer who's not only heard it all, but is an experienced interrogator?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      That's more a matter for US Immigration. If they catch you at it then there's every chance they will deport you as the US takes a strict view of its visa conditions. If you're caught then bye-bye Green Card.
      Do you really want to take the risk? With what you describe you're struggling to word it and clearly stretching the meaning of words, how do you think that would come across to an Immigration Officer who's not only heard it all, but is an experienced interrogator?
      Forget the work thing then for a second. I do actually want to go for a few days to meet with my colleagues. The Green Card might take another year so some face time would be really useful. Is this permitted and can I invoice for it? I am genuinely happy to do nothing but meetings for the period I am there but I would like to get paid for the time.

Comment

Originally posted by buddy99 View Post
        Forget the work thing then for a second. I do actually want to go for a few days to meet with my colleagues. The Green Card might take another year so some face time would be really useful. Is this permitted and can I invoice for it? I am genuinely happy to do nothing but meetings for the period I am there but I would like to get paid for the time.
        There's no problem in doing this, and yes YourCo (it isn't you) can invoice for the time.

Comment

Going for genuine meetings, note taking, planning, discussions and the likes is ok (put aside that's a reasonable description of what I and many others actually do as work), in truth it's a bit of a farce and mostly a matter of what you say and how you say it.
          What Jamesbrown said is a bit pedantic, but accurate and that matters, there could be arguments if you use T&M type timesheets though as that "looks" like you were there to work. More of the farce element really.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            What Jamesbrown said is a bit pedantic, but accurate and that matters, there could be arguments if you use T&M type timesheets though as that "looks" like you were there to work. More of the farce element really.
            I mention this because it isn't acceptable to receive income from a US source when conducting business in the US under the VWP (except under specific conditions not being met here). It is, however, acceptable for the worker's company to invoice for T&M or anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              I mention this because it isn't acceptable to receive income from a US source when conducting business in the US under the VWP (except under specific conditions not being met here). It is, however, acceptable for the worker's company to invoice for T&M or anything else.
              Thanks, that is really helpful. I had read that I could not get paid directly by a US company for any business time spent in US, even for meetings, and had hoped the fact that they actually pay my Ltd. company who then pay me would make it OK(despite the fact that I am the director and sole employee of my Ltd. company).

So you are confirming that this arrangement is within the rules, as I personally am not being paid directly by a US source, my company is?

Comment

Originally posted by buddy99 View Post
                Thanks, that is really helpful. I had read that I could not get paid directly by a US company for any business time spent in US, even for meetings, and had hoped the fact that they actually pay my Ltd. company who then pay me would make it OK(despite the fact that I am the director and sole employee of my Ltd. company).

So you are confirming that this arrangement is within the rules, as I personally am not being paid directly by a US source, my company is?
                He isn't confirming anything.

It's up to you to check that the US taxman sees you and your limited company as completely separate entities due to the number if employees to you have.

I have been told by someone in the US they don't.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  He isn't confirming anything.

It's up to you to check that the US taxman sees you and your limited company as completely separate entities due to the number if employees to you have.

I have been told by someone in the US they don't.

Taxman? This isn't a tax question. Do you mean immigration authorities?

Comment

Working...
                  X