Working in USA Working in USA - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Working in USA

  1. #21

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    That's more a matter for US Immigration. If they catch you at it then there's every chance they will deport you as the US takes a strict view of its visa conditions. If you're caught then bye-bye Green Card.
    Do you really want to take the risk? With what you describe you're struggling to word it and clearly stretching the meaning of words, how do you think that would come across to an Immigration Officer who's not only heard it all, but is an experienced interrogator?

  2. #22

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    That's more a matter for US Immigration. If they catch you at it then there's every chance they will deport you as the US takes a strict view of its visa conditions. If you're caught then bye-bye Green Card.
    Do you really want to take the risk? With what you describe you're struggling to word it and clearly stretching the meaning of words, how do you think that would come across to an Immigration Officer who's not only heard it all, but is an experienced interrogator?
    Forget the work thing then for a second. I do actually want to go for a few days to meet with my colleagues. The Green Card might take another year so some face time would be really useful. Is this permitted and can I invoice for it? I am genuinely happy to do nothing but meetings for the period I am there but I would like to get paid for the time.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buddy99 View Post
    Forget the work thing then for a second. I do actually want to go for a few days to meet with my colleagues. The Green Card might take another year so some face time would be really useful. Is this permitted and can I invoice for it? I am genuinely happy to do nothing but meetings for the period I am there but I would like to get paid for the time.
    There's no problem in doing this, and yes YourCo (it isn't you) can invoice for the time.

  4. #24

    Banned


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Going for genuine meetings, note taking, planning, discussions and the likes is ok (put aside that's a reasonable description of what I and many others actually do as work), in truth it's a bit of a farce and mostly a matter of what you say and how you say it.
    What Jamesbrown said is a bit pedantic, but accurate and that matters, there could be arguments if you use T&M type timesheets though as that "looks" like you were there to work. More of the farce element really.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    What Jamesbrown said is a bit pedantic, but accurate and that matters, there could be arguments if you use T&M type timesheets though as that "looks" like you were there to work. More of the farce element really.
    I mention this because it isn't acceptable to receive income from a US source when conducting business in the US under the VWP (except under specific conditions not being met here). It is, however, acceptable for the worker's company to invoice for T&M or anything else.

  6. #26

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I mention this because it isn't acceptable to receive income from a US source when conducting business in the US under the VWP (except under specific conditions not being met here). It is, however, acceptable for the worker's company to invoice for T&M or anything else.
    Thanks, that is really helpful. I had read that I could not get paid directly by a US company for any business time spent in US, even for meetings, and had hoped the fact that they actually pay my Ltd. company who then pay me would make it OK(despite the fact that I am the director and sole employee of my Ltd. company).

    So you are confirming that this arrangement is within the rules, as I personally am not being paid directly by a US source, my company is?

  7. #27

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buddy99 View Post
    Thanks, that is really helpful. I had read that I could not get paid directly by a US company for any business time spent in US, even for meetings, and had hoped the fact that they actually pay my Ltd. company who then pay me would make it OK(despite the fact that I am the director and sole employee of my Ltd. company).

    So you are confirming that this arrangement is within the rules, as I personally am not being paid directly by a US source, my company is?
    He isn't confirming anything.

    It's up to you to check that the US taxman sees you and your limited company as completely separate entities due to the number if employees to you have.

    I have been told by someone in the US they don't.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  8. #28

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    He isn't confirming anything.

    It's up to you to check that the US taxman sees you and your limited company as completely separate entities due to the number if employees to you have.

    I have been told by someone in the US they don't.

    Taxman? This isn't a tax question. Do you mean immigration authorities?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •