• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subcontracting a piece of work...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subcontracting a piece of work...

Hi all,

I'm currently on a project doing testing and my pl/sql is a bit rusty. I used to be a devleoper but that was over 5 years ago. Anyway I've got a chunk of testing to do which requires some "clever" pl/sql. I could do the work myself - but would probably take 3 times as long as someone who's been actively doing PL/SQL work. I'm more just advanced inline SQL thse days and not "packages and procs".

I'd also like a week off over easter and have got no chance based on my current workload. Hand bags were drawn when I told them I was taking 4 days in June.

So I've come up with the idea of getting one of the numerous dev's contractors I've worked with over the years to do the work instead and give him the cash. A nice bonus for some evening working. I'll give him table defs (3 tables) and a fag packet spec, and he gives me back a piece of code that does the required testing work.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this sort of thing and how you approached it in terms of agreements. How did you approach the client co management to sell the idea?

It's great for me - I get a holiday and better IR35 status (having done an actual substitution)
    Great for a mate - he gets a bonus and probably better IR35 status (having done 2 clients concurrently)
    Good for the company (they get working code faster than I would deliver it).

I don't see it as lost income as I'd like the holiday anyway and wouldn't get paid, so really its chance for someone else to earn a few bob whilst I get what I want.
    Signed sealed and delivered.

We did methods of applying this in an indepth thread awhile ago but I can't find it...

Have a look through these to see if anything is of use. Try changing the search term if there is too much IR35 stuff. There are some good threads about this question somewhere.

subcontract work site:forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts - Google Search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X