• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hourly rate beware?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hourly rate beware?

So, pimp has put me forward to a pharmaceutical client at an hourly rate of £x.
    I have just seen the exact same role (exactly the same description and skill list) for a daily rate that works out to about £80/day more. Is the pimp using the hourly rate to push the rate down?

The only question that is relevant is 'are you happy with the rate that the agent put you forward for?'.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Well there are a number of factors here. Number one would be the age old 'bump the rate up' trick and then knock you down when you apply. I wouldn't pay much heed to the values they put in the add. Get the gig and then use this bit of info to negotiate harder.

Could be that one agency focuses on bob's, one maybe on a fixed margin and so on.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And how many hours in a day? Depending on the rate you could end up with more than the daily rate if you do a decent stint. You're not one of those that clock watches are you?

Comment

If you really think you should be on a higher rate then you can simply tell the agent you now have a couple of interesting leads elsewhere, the situation has changed because the rates they´re offering are higher and that it isn´t worth your while unless they put the rate up. That would be the way to handle it. But think it through; the higher your rate the less chance you have of landing the job. In principle there is absolutely no problem in changing your rate up until the point at which the contract is accepted.

Personally I think you should decide independently of an individual contract what your rate is, if you´re getting lots of interviews you stick it up, if you haven´t got many then keep it reasonable.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 April 2013, 12:44.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            The only question that is relevant is 'are you happy with the rate that the agent put you forward for?'.
            No, you are wrong. The only question that is relevant is "how much are the client prepared to pay, and how little can I get away with paying the agent ?".

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              No, you are wrong. The only question that is relevant is "how much are the client prepared to pay, and how little can I get away with paying the agent ?".

Boo
              You don't pay the agent, the client does, the agent pays you

But your point about the how much the client is prepared to pay is valid - as they might be getting a £200 a day guy for £400.

Comment

Boo
                What? Why would you pay an agent? I thought you were a contractor doing a gig for a client?

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
                  You don't pay the agent, the client does, the agent pays you

But your point about the how much the client is prepared to pay is valid - as they might be getting a £200 a day guy for £400.
                  Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  What? Why would you pay an agent? I thought you were a contractor doing a gig for a client?
                  No, not really. The only person providing any value for the client is the contractor, therefore any money payed by the client belongs to the contractor. The agency does not provide value, they are just an overhead and so their proportion of the take needs to be reduced as far as possible.

Boo2

Comment

No, not really. The only person providing any value for the client is the contractor, therefore any money payed by the client belongs to the contractor. The agency does not provide value, they are just an overhead and so their proportion of the take needs to be reduced as far as possible.

Boo2
                    I have no idea what you are talking about - if you are going through an agency then the standard model would be that the client pays the agency who then pays you.

Agencies provide value to the client in that they safe the client doing the work that the agency does - it is up to the client to determine whether that is a good use of their money. Your view on the matter is not relevant to either party.

If you go direct then the client pays you and there is no agent.

What model are you using?
                    What point are you making?

Comment

Working...
                    X