• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Advice

cojak is a lovely and wise moderator.
    Last edited by keyser666; 18 April 2013, 22:08.

You are not a permanent employee, you are a contractor.

What does your contract say?

It's none of your business who the client chooses to recruit.

(In other words: No)

And if you continue with this I will consider you a Troll.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by keyser666 View Post
      Wonder if anyone can help. I think I have been unfairly looked over for a role withing a company I am in. Circs are as follows:

I am on a 6 month 1st Line contract 3 months in 1 week notice period.
      The role advertised is for a permanent role within the company.
      I worked in the company as a permanent employee before and left on good terms and now back as a contractor.

I applied for the 2nd Line permanent role and did not get an interview. I asked for feedback and was told the following:

Code:
      Unfortunately you did not meet some of the knowledge and experience requirements.

We are currently looking for strong candidates that are certified within some of the Microsoft qualifications as well as having a good DNS & DHCP understanding.

Currently we are not in a position to train such candidates to the requirement level.
      There were 7 candidates that applied including myself, I was clearly the strongest candidate. The two candidates he chose are friends of his and this and I am aware of their accreditations and experience as I know them also backed up by their linked in profile:

Candidate A: 18 months 1st Line helpdesk and CCNA through college.
      Candidate 2: 3 years IT experience, 1st line and 2nd line in same company for last 24 months.

Now myself, and to counter the feedback presented, I have 14 years 2/3rd line experience. I have the following:

Code:
      March 2003    -    Maintaining and Troubleshooting Win XP Professional -        MCP
      Dec 2002    -    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator - Windows 2000 -        MCSA
      Nov 2001    -    Desktop Management with ZENWorks 2 -                CNA
      Oct 2000    -    Novell NetWare 5 Design and Implementation -            CNA 
      Sept 2000    -    Novell NetWare 5 Advanced Administration -             CNA
      July 2000     -     Novell NetWare 5 Administration -                 CNA
      May 2000    -    Microsoft NT 4.0 Workstation / Server -                MCP
      Now my issue is he says I do not meet the knowledge or experience requirements, well I have 14 years of experience in the same role applied for against his two candidates one of whom doesn't and the other only 18 months odd. As for the knowledge my roles and my accreditations demonstrate I do. Finally his comment that he is looking for people that have a good understanding of DNS and DHCP. Well I do have experiecne and on top of that the following 3 exams below I passed which all 3 contain content on DNS and DHCP.

Microsoft NT 4.0 Workstation / Server - MCP
      Novell NetWare 5 Advanced Administration - CNA
      Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator - Windows 2000 - MCSA

He is a manager with no technical knowledge but to dismiss me without either understanding my CV or taking advice or blatantly ignoring me for a jobs with the boys I am wondering if there is anything I can do? His reasons for failing to secure an interview stinks and other colleagues are surprised. He cannot quanitfy his feedback especially considering the above and the two candidate he did chose.

I know I am a contractor but wondering if I am able to do something here because it is clear this is a job for the boys and the two candidates are well below par compared to myself. This job was also advertised externally as well, so cannot say this was only meant for internal permanent employees.
      Are you a pregnant, black or gay?
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

How the hell could I be deemed a troll, what a ludicrous statement? I am unsure of the situation which is clearly unfair and require advice. Should seek out the definition of the word troll before bandying that statement about

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Right on Cojak
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            Are you a pregnant, black or gay?
            No none of the above, just thing it is outrageously unfair and also that the feedback clearly demonstrates that I haven't been fairly assessed for the role and the selection process is flawed, either through the lack of the managers technical ability or a jobs with the boys element

Comment

Originally posted by keyser666 View Post
              No none of the above, just thing it is outrageously unfair and also that the feedback clearly demonstrates that I haven't been fairly assessed for the role and the selection process is flawed, either through the lack of the managers technical ability or a jobs with the boys element
              Unfortunately your comments are based on your opinions which obviously are not the same as the person recruiting
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Unless you can prove discrimination you have no case.
                Last edited by MyUserName; 18 April 2013, 12:18. Reason: just realised that this is not general
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Thanks all, just thought there was a law regarding this. Thanks for clarifying

Comment

...or he might have looked at you and said - "Why is this guy/gal who has 14 years of experience not moved on from 1st line support? Why are they claiming qualifications gained 10 years ago are in any way relevant when I have candidates who are qualified on modern operating systems?" or "I don't like this guy/gal."

You have no way of knowing why the person didn't choose you. Even if it's because you have webbed feet and no arms, it's a business to business relationship, not an employee/employer relationship.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X